Finding Aphelion Distance After Satellite Explosion

• Thread starter Kenny Lee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravitation
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the aphelion distance of a satellite after it explodes and breaks into two pieces. The first step is to find an expression for the velocity of the satellite in circular orbit. Then, the time period is calculated. When the satellite explodes, one piece becomes stationary and the other piece has an instantaneous velocity of 5/4 sqrt. (GM/r). The next step is to find the distance of the fragment from the center of the Earth when it reaches the other end of the elliptical motion, which is equal to 25/7 times the radius of the original orbit. The hint given is to use conservation of energy and angular momentum.
Kenny Lee
Hi, how does one go about finding the aphelion distance when all the information you've got is the satellite's velocity at one point in time?? Here's the Q:
1) first you're to find an expression for the velocity of a satellite in circular orbit about planet of mass M. The orbit radius = r. Simple enough
2) then you find its time period - simple enough
3) then it says, the satellite explodes; breaking into two pieces. One of mass 4m and another of mass m. The mass m becomes stationary with respect to the Earth (i.e. v=0). Find the instantaneous v of mass 4m now - consv of momentum Q. Simple enough.
(Answer btw is 5/4 sqrt. (GM/r)--- for next Q. )
This is where i get lost.
4) it says that the broken satellite of mass 4m, because of increase in speed, now undergoes elliptical motion. We're supposed to find its distance away from the center of the Earth when it reaches the other end of the ellipse.
Answer's (25/7)r
Now I presume its talking about the aphelion distance. Cause at the instance of explosion its going to be at radius r, and again I'm guessing that that's the perihelion. So the 'other end' could be the aphelion? Regardless, I just don't know how to get about the Q. Help me out pls.

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Both the energy and angular momentum of the fragment will be conserved.

Yea? I'll give it a try.

Related to Finding Aphelion Distance After Satellite Explosion

1. What is gravitation?

Gravitation is the natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are attracted to one another.

2. How does gravitation affect the movement of celestial bodies?

Gravitation is the primary force that governs the motion of celestial bodies in space. It keeps planets in orbit around their respective stars and governs the movement of galaxies.

3. What is aphelion?

Aphelion is the point in an object's orbit around the sun where it is farthest away from the sun. This is in contrast to perihelion, which is the closest point to the sun in an object's orbit.

4. How is aphelion related to the orbit of a planet?

Aphelion is one of the two points in an object's elliptical orbit around the sun. The other point is perihelion. Together, these two points determine the shape and size of the orbit.

5. What factors influence the distance of an object's aphelion?

The distance of an object's aphelion is influenced by its mass, the mass of the object it is orbiting, and the eccentricity of its orbit. Objects with greater mass have a stronger gravitational pull, which can affect the distance of their aphelion. Similarly, objects with more elliptical orbits may have a greater distance between their perihelion and aphelion.