Finding arc length of a pipe between two tanks

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the arclength between points A and B using the formula L = integral (0.6 to 0.4) of sqrt (1+ (dz/dx)^2), with a potential solution of 400 km due to negligible elevation change. Further information is needed, such as the radius of the Earth and the angle in radians or degrees, to accurately solve the problem. The conversation also touches on the need for understanding Latex and clarifying the specific requirements of the problem.
knotted_pine
Homework Statement
I am trying to find the arclength and max height of a pipe between two tanks A and B. The height of A is 0.4km and the height of B is 0.6km.
Relevant Equations
The change in elevation is given by $z^* = a + bx^* + c(x^*)^2$

$z^* = z/0.2km$ and $x^* = x/400 km$

x is the horizontal distance from A and 400 is the horizontal distance from A and B.

The maximum pipe elevation is $x^* = 0.6$
I can't seem to find the arclength between A and B.

I tried using L = integral (0.6 to 0.4) of sqrt (1+ (dz/dx)^2) to no avail.

Would it be roughly similar to 400 km (the length from A to B) since the change in elevation could be considered negligible? Furthermore, how might I go about finding max elevation?

Physics news on Phys.org
r= radius of the Earth. Arc length requires using r, right? So, what is the radius of the Earth in km?
Since it is an arc, I do not understand why you are concerned about a highest point. 0.6km is the highest point based on what you posted. You also need the angle in radians (or degrees).

So, to help us out, please read the first few paragraphs from the Latex Guide, Blue text Above "Attach files". Your Latex did not render. I cannot tell if you are on the right track.

What does your problem actually ask for?

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is the formula for finding the arc length of a pipe between two tanks?

The formula for finding the arc length of a pipe between two tanks is L = rθ, where L is the arc length, r is the radius of the pipe, and θ is the central angle between the two tanks in radians.

2. How do you measure the central angle between two tanks?

The central angle between two tanks can be measured using a protractor or by using trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, or tangent, to calculate the angle based on the dimensions of the tanks.

3. What units should be used for the radius and central angle in the formula?

The radius should be measured in the same units as the length of the pipe, and the central angle should be measured in radians. If the angle is given in degrees, it must be converted to radians by multiplying by π/180.

4. Can the arc length formula be used for pipes with varying radii?

Yes, the arc length formula can be used for pipes with varying radii as long as the radius and central angle are measured at the same point on the pipe.

5. Are there any other factors that should be considered when finding the arc length of a pipe between two tanks?

Yes, other factors that should be considered include the material and thickness of the pipe, as well as any bends or curves in the pipe that may affect the overall length. It is important to accurately measure and account for these factors in order to get an accurate arc length measurement.