General proof of Arc Length For Parametrised Coodrdinates

In summary, the given conversation discusses proving a result for arc length using a metric ##g_{ij}## and an integral. The equation given shows the use of the Pythagorean theorem for differential arc elements in orthogonal coordinates, and the use of a different variable, ##d\lambda##, may make the equation more evident. It is also mentioned that the metric tensor may not necessarily be diagonal and that the metric for ##S^{2}## is not just Kronecker delta.
bananabandana

Homework Statement

Prove that, given a metric ##g_{ij}## such that ##ds^{2}=g_{ij}dx^{i}dx^{j}##, where ##x^{r} = x^{r}(\lambda)## , we have the following result for the arc length:
$$ L(p,q) = \int_{p}^{q} ds = \sqrt{ g_{ij} \frac{dx^{i}}{d \lambda} \frac{ dx^{j}}{d \lambda} } d \lambda $$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Honestly not sure about how to attempt this. I've had a look in Riley Hobson and Bence and Schaums Vector analysis for clues, but can't find any. Both simply state the result as self evident. Have I missed something obvious?

Physics news on Phys.org
bananabandana said:

Homework Statement

Prove that, given a metric ##g_{ij}## such that ##ds^{2}=g_{ij}dx^{i}dx^{j}##, where ##x^{r} = x^{r}(\lambda)## , we have the following result for the arc length:
$$ L(p,q) = \int_{p}^{q} ds = \sqrt{ g_{ij} \frac{dx^{i}}{d \lambda} \frac{ dx^{j}}{d \lambda} } d \lambda $$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Honestly not sure about how to attempt this. I've had a look in Riley Hobson and Bence and Schaums Vector analysis for clues, but can't find any. Both simply state the result as self evident. Have I missed something obvious?
The ## g_{ij} ## I think are equal to 1 if ## i=j ## and 0 otherwise. Meanwhile, I think the statement is simply one that says the Pythagorean theorem applies for differential arc elements of the orthogonal coordinates, i.e. ## (ds)^2=(dx)^2+(dy)^2+(dz)^2 +... ##. Putting in a ## d \lambda ## may be more evident if you let the ## d \lambda=dt ##. Perhaps ## g_{ij} ## will take on another form for non-orthogonal coordinates, but the details of that are probably not exceedingly difficult.

It's not generally true that the off diagonal elements of the metric tensor are zero - we require that the tensor be symmetric, but that's not *necessarily* the same as it being diagonal? Even if I've got that wrong though...If you think of ##S^{2}##, then the metric definitely isn't just Kronecker delta...?

1. What is the general proof of arc length for parametrised coordinates?

The general proof of arc length for parametrised coordinates involves using the parametric equation of a curve to calculate the arc length. This is done by breaking the curve into small segments, calculating the length of each segment using the Pythagorean theorem, and then summing up all the segments to get the total arc length.

2. Why is the general proof of arc length for parametrised coordinates important?

The general proof of arc length for parametrised coordinates is important because it allows us to find the length of a curve that cannot be easily expressed in terms of a single variable. This is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and geometry.

3. Can the general proof of arc length be applied to any type of curve?

Yes, the general proof of arc length can be applied to any type of curve as long as it can be described by a parametric equation. This includes curves in two or three dimensions, as well as more complex curves such as spirals or curves defined by polar coordinates.

4. Are there any limitations to the general proof of arc length for parametrised coordinates?

One limitation of the general proof of arc length for parametrised coordinates is that it requires the parametric equation to be differentiable. This means that the curve must not have any sharp corners or cusps, as these would result in the derivative being undefined and the proof being invalid.

5. How is the general proof of arc length for parametrised coordinates related to the arc length formula?

The general proof of arc length for parametrised coordinates is essentially a derivation of the arc length formula. By breaking the curve into small segments and taking the limit as the segments become infinitesimally small, we arrive at the integral form of the arc length formula. Therefore, the general proof is a way to justify the use of the arc length formula for parametrised curves.