Finding CDF of Gamma_m: Solve Using Functions

• B
  • Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cdf
In summary: Is there an easier way to find the unconditional CDF?In summary, the conversation discusses the random variable ##\Gamma_m## and the need to find its CDF. The CDF of ##\Gamma_m## can be found by rearranging the conditional CDF formula, which involves only one random variable, ##a_m##. However, the unconditional CDF requires a more complex calculation involving nested integration. The goal is to find an easier way to calculate the unconditional CDF.
EngWiPy
Hello all,

I have the following random variable ##\Gamma_m=\frac{a_m}{\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n+1}## where the random variables ##\{a_n\}## are independent and identically distributed random variables. The CDF of random variable ##a_n## if given by

[tex]F_{a_n}(x)=1-\frac{1}{1+x}[/tex]

Now I need to find the CDF of ##\Gamma_m##. I started like this:

[tex]F_m(\gamma)=Pr\left[\frac{a_m}{\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n+1}\leq \gamma\right]=1-Pr\left[\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n<\frac{a_m}{\gamma}-1\right]=1-\int_{a_m}Pr\left[\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n<\frac{a_m}{\gamma}-1\right]f_{a_m}(a_m)\,da_m[/tex]

where ##f_{a_m}(a_m)=1/(1+a_m)^2## is the PDF of the random variable ##a_m##. Apparently, ##Pr\left[\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n<\frac{a_m}{\gamma}-1\right]## is the CDF of the random variable ##\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n## for a given ##a_m##. How can I continue from here without resorting to Laplace or Fourier Transform? The reason why is that I need to write the CDF in terms of functions, because later I need to find its PDF.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you want the unconditional CDF of ##\Gamma_m##, or the CDF conditional on the values of all the ##a_n## except ##a_m##? The latter is easy. The former requires a multiple integration.

andrewkirk said:
Do you want the unconditional CDF of ##\Gamma_m##, or the CDF conditional on the values of all the ##a_n## except ##a_m##? The latter is easy. The former requires a multiple integration.

I need the latter first. How can I find it? Any tips?

You worked out the following:
$$F_{\Gamma_m}(\gamma)=Pr\left[\frac{a_m}{1+\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n}\leq \gamma\right] $$
For the conditional case this is:
$$F_{\Gamma_m|a_1,...a_{n-1},a_{n+1},...,a_K}(\gamma)=Pr\left[\frac{a_m}{1+\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n}\leq \gamma\ \middle|\ a_1,...a_{n-1},a_{n+1},...,a_K\right] $$
Instead of the next step you take in your post, rearrange this to get ##a_m##, which is the only random variable in the conditional case, on its own on the left of the '##\leq##' sign. So you have
$$F_{\Gamma_m|a_1,...a_{n-1},a_{n+1},...,a_K}(\gamma)=Pr\left[a_m\leq \gamma{\left(1+\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n\right)}\ \middle|\ a_1,...a_{n-1},a_{n+1},...,a_K\right] $$
which is equal to
$$F_{a_n}\left( \gamma{\left(1+\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n\right)}\right)$$

So now you can just use the formula you wrote for ##F_{a_m}##.

That's why I arranged it in a different way, because in your approach to find the unconditional CDF, you need to average over all ##K-1## random variables. In my arrangement, I just need to average over one random variable if I can find the CDF of the summation conditioned on ##a_m##.

S_David said:
That's why I arranged it in a different way, because in your approach to find the unconditional CDF, you need to average over all ##K-1## random variables.
You asked in post 3 about the conditional CDF which, per the above, is just:

$$1-\frac1{ \gamma{\left(1+\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n\right)}}$$

As I stated above, the unconditional CDF requires a completely different calculation. That will involve a ##K##-deep nested integration.

andrewkirk said:
You asked in post 3 about the conditional CDF which, per the above, is just:

$$1-\frac1{ \gamma{\left(1+\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n\right)}}$$

As I stated above, the unconditional CDF requires a completely different calculation. That will involve a ##K##-deep nested integration.

My ultimate aim as I stated in the first post is to evaluate the unconditional CDF, and in post 3 I said I need the conditional CDF first, and by the conditional CDF, I meant the conditional CDF I formulated in the last part of my first post, namely, the CDF of the summation of the random variables conditioned on ##a_m##. I formulated the problem this way with the ultimate goal of the unconditional CDF to be found as easy as possible.

1. What is the Gamma function?

The Gamma function is a mathematical function that is used to extend the factorial function to non-integer values. It is denoted by the Greek letter γ (gamma) and is defined as γ = Δ(n-1)!, where n is a positive integer. It has applications in various areas of mathematics, including probability theory and statistics.

2. What is the relationship between the Gamma function and the Gamma distribution?

The Gamma distribution is a probability distribution that is commonly used to model the waiting time between events in a Poisson process. The shape of the Gamma distribution is determined by the value of the shape parameter, which is related to the Gamma function. Specifically, the probability density function of the Gamma distribution can be expressed in terms of the Gamma function.

3. How is the CDF of the Gamma distribution calculated?

The CDF (cumulative distribution function) of the Gamma distribution is calculated by integrating the probability density function from 0 to x, where x is the value at which the CDF is being evaluated. This integral can be solved using the Gamma function, as well as other methods such as numerical integration.

4. What is the purpose of finding the CDF of Gamma_m?

The CDF of Gamma_m is used to determine the probability that a random variable with a Gamma distribution takes on a value less than or equal to a given value. This can be useful in various applications, such as analyzing the waiting time for a specific event to occur in a Poisson process.

5. Can the CDF of Gamma_m be calculated using functions?

Yes, the CDF of Gamma_m can be calculated using various mathematical functions, including the Gamma function, the incomplete Gamma function, and numerical integration methods. The specific method used may depend on the values of the parameters of the Gamma distribution and the desired level of accuracy in the calculation.