Finding Complex Antiderivatives | Guidance for Tricky Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the antiderivative of a given function and the suggested approach of using substitution and partial fraction decomposition. The suggested substitution is u=x^2 and the conversation also mentions completing the square and using a trig substitution. The final suggestion is to apply partial fraction decomposition before or after the substitution.
OmniNewton

Homework Statement

How would one go about finding the antiderivative to this function?
5c664275712dfef070bc027353aaecd0.png

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem has been rather tricky I have tried several attempts at the solution. My one solution consists of me factoring out the x^4. Looking for some guidance please.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
OmniNewton said:

Homework Statement

How would one go about finding the antiderivative to this function?
5c664275712dfef070bc027353aaecd0.png

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem has been rather tricky I have tried several attempts at the solution. My one solution consists of me factoring out the x^4. Looking for some guidance please.

Thank you!
I would start with an ordinary substitution, u = x2, and would complete the square in the radical. From there, a trig substitution seems promising.

Mark44 said:
I would start with an ordinary substitution, u = x2, and would complete the square in the radical. From there, a trig substitution seems promising.
OK I will work it out now thank you for the suggestion.

OK I gave your suggestion an attempt.
I've arrived at the following after the substitution from x ---> u completing the square----> and back to x.

(x^4-1)
x^2((x^2+1/4)^2+ (3/4)))^(1/2)

Where is the point in substituting back before integration?
u=x^2+1/2 (not 1/4) was my first idea as well, but then you still have an ugly sqrt(u) in the denominator.

if you let u= x^2+(1/2) I also have a hard time figuring out how to remove the dx and convert it to du if du= 2x

That's where the sqrt(u-1/2) comes in. Forgot the 1/2 in the previous post.
Hmm, u=x^2 is an easier substitution. The initial square root goes away anyway.

Thinking about it... standard partial fraction decomposition should work, with imaginary numbers to have the zero.

mfb said:
That's where the sqrt(u-1/2) comes in. Forgot the 1/2 in the previous post.
Hmm, u=x^2 is an easier substitution. The initial square root goes away anyway.

Thinking about it... standard partial fraction decomposition should work.

Should i apply partial fraction before or after u substitution. Also sorry for still not getting it but when I u substitute I'm still having a hard time figuring out how to change the integral from being with respect to x to respect to u.

Well, if u=x2, then x=+-sqrt(u) and du = 2x dx.

Partial fraction decomposition would be without substitution.

What is a complex antiderivative?

A complex antiderivative is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original complex function. It is the inverse operation of complex differentiation.

How is a complex antiderivative different from a regular antiderivative?

A complex antiderivative deals with functions that have complex numbers as variables, while a regular antiderivative deals with functions that have real numbers as variables.

What are the properties of a complex antiderivative?

Some key properties of a complex antiderivative include linearity, the existence of multiple antiderivatives for a single function, and the connection between the complex antiderivative and the complex integral.

How is a complex antiderivative calculated?

To calculate a complex antiderivative, the process of complex integration is used. This involves finding the function whose derivative is equal to the given complex function.

What are some real-world applications of complex antiderivatives?

Complex antiderivatives are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in the development of mathematical models and simulations.