Find the antiderivative of the following vector:

In summary: I put down?In summary, the position vector of a particle moving with the given velocity can be calculated using the formula r = (32t m - (5/2)t^2 m/s + C m i). The quantity of 5 m/s^2 in the velocity vector indicates that accelerated motion is taking place. The antiderivative for a velocity vector with no j-component would result in a position vector with no j-component as well. The constant of integration, denoted by C or D, can be assumed to be 0 in the absence of any initial condition information. Therefore, the position vector can be simplified to r = (32t m - (5/2)t^2 m
brinstar

Homework Statement

Calculate the position vector of a particle moving with velocity given by:

v = (32 m/s - (5 m/s^2 )t i) + (0 j)

Homework Equations

(x^(n+1) / (n+1) ) + C = antiderivative of function

The Attempt at a Solution

r = (32t m - (5/2)t^2 m/s + C m i) + (C j)

Honestly, I'm just confused with the units more than anything. I don't know why the problem has m/s^2 if it's a velocity vector...

Physics news on Phys.org
brinstar said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the position vector of a particle moving with velocity given by:

v = (32 m/s - (5 m/s^2 )t i) + (0 j)

Homework Equations

(x^(n+1) / (n+1) ) + C = antiderivative of function

The Attempt at a Solution

r = (32t m - (5/2)t^2 m/s + C m i) + (C j)

Honestly, I'm just confused with the units more than anything. I don't know why the problem has m/s^2 if it's a velocity vector...

A quantity of 5 m/s2 indicates that accelerated motion is taking place, i.e., the velocity is changing w.r.t. time. Acceleration × time = change in velocity.

SteamKing said:
A quantity of 5 m/s2 indicates that accelerated motion is taking place, i.e., the velocity is changing w.r.t. time. Acceleration × time = change in velocity.

oooooh okay that makes more sense. thank you!

and the antiderivative is right, right?

brinstar said:
oooooh okay that makes more sense. thank you!

and the antiderivative is right, right?
I would say that since the velocity vector had no j-component, the position vector will not either.

SteamKing said:
I would say that since the velocity vector had no j-component, the position vector will not either.
but isn't the antiderivative of 0 C (or in this case, D to differentiate)?

brinstar said:
but isn't the antiderivative of 0 C (or in this case, D to differentiate)?
Yeah, but D = 0 would be an acceptable value for the constant of integration, in the absence of any other initial condition information.

SteamKing said:
Yeah, but D = 0 would be an acceptable value for the constant of integration, in the absence of any other initial condition information.

oh okay. since this is on a take home test, do you think I should just put both answers (one for a definite integral 0 and one for an indefinite integral D)?

brinstar said:
oh okay. since this is on a take home test, do you think I should just put both answers (one for a definite integral 0 and one for an indefinite integral D)?
You can have a definite integral only if you know the value of t.

SteamKing said:
You can have a definite integral only if you know the value of t.

hmm... so what should I put down?

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is the inverse operation of differentiation. It is a function that, when differentiated, gives back the original function.

2. Why is finding the antiderivative important?

Finding the antiderivative helps us to solve problems involving rates of change, such as motion and growth. It also allows us to find the area under a curve, which has many practical applications.

3. What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

4. How do you find the antiderivative of a vector?

To find the antiderivative of a vector, you need to integrate each component of the vector separately. This can be done using the rules of integration, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule.

5. Can you give an example of finding the antiderivative of a vector?

Sure, let's find the antiderivative of the vector (2x, 3x^2). The antiderivative of 2x is x^2 + C, where C is a constant. The antiderivative of 3x^2 is x^3 + C. Therefore, the antiderivative of (2x, 3x^2) is (x^2, x^3) + C.