Finding components of velocity

In summary, a hockey player shoots a hockey puck towards the net. The net is 20 meters in front of the player. If the puck leaves the hockey stick at 30 meters per second and 10 degrees above the ice, find the x and y components of the velocity of the puck. If the goalie catches the puck just in front of the net, calculate the final velocity of the puck.
homevolend

Homework Statement

A hockey player shoots hockey puck towards net. The net is 20 metres infront of the player. If the puck leaves hockey stick at 30 m/s and 10° above ice. Find x and y components of the velocity. If the goalies catches puck just infront of net calculate final velocity of the puck with magnitude and direction included in answer.

Homework Equations

vx = vcosθ
v1y=vcosθ

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b

Ok now for the first I assume it means find x and y components of the velocity means of the initial velocity.

so I did the above equations of

vx = vcosθ
v1y=vcosθ

and got: v1y=5.2 m/s
and vx=29.5 m/s

now for next part I did:

dx=vx(t)
20=29.5(t)
t=0.7 sec

v2y=v1y+(g)(t)
v2y=5.2+(9.81)(0.7)
v2y=12.1 m/s

v2=√ 29.52+12.12
v2=31.9 m/s

tan-1(12.1/29.5)=θ
θ=22.3°

final velocity of the puck is 31.9 m/s [22.3° Forward]

Im just wondering if I did this question correctly and if my direction is correct for the final part.

Physics news on Phys.org
homevolend said:
vx = vcosθ
v1y=vcosθ

You wanted to write v1y=vsinθ...

homevolend said:
and got: v1y=5.21 m/s
and vx=29.5 m/s
Do not round too early, too much.

homevolend said:
v2y=v1y+(g)(t)
v2y=5.2+(9.81)(0.7)
v2y=12.1 m/s

Reconsider the sign of v1y and g. One is up, the other is down. The result you got is wrong.

ehild

Ok re did and got this for the x and y components

vx = vcosθ
v1y=vsinθ

v1y=5.21 m/s
and vx=29.54 m/s

now for next part I did:

dx=vx(t)
20=29.54(t)
t=0.677 sec

v2y=v1y+(g)(t)
v2y=5.21+(-9.81)(0.677)
v2y= -1.4 m/s

v2=√ 29.542+(-1.4)2
v2=29.5 m/s

tan-1(-1.4/29.54)=θ
θ= what did I do wrong?

not sure what I did wrong

Do not round off during calculations. Keep at least 4 significant digits. The final angle will be negative as the puck is falling, its vertical component of velocity is negative.ehild

Also, is there anything else I could have included in my solution?

Your solution looks correct. You correctly found the x and y components of the initial velocity and used them to calculate the time it takes for the puck to reach the net. Then, you used the equation for vertical motion to find the final vertical velocity and used the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the final velocity. Finally, you used the inverse tangent function to find the direction of the final velocity.

One thing you could have included is a diagram to better visualize the problem and your solution. You could also mention the units for each of your calculations, as well as the units for the final answer. Additionally, you could explain the significance of the angle of 10° above the ice in relation to the initial velocity. Overall, your solution is correct and includes all the necessary steps to solve the problem.

Related to Finding components of velocity

1) What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed refers to how fast an object is moving, while velocity refers to both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

2) How do you find the components of velocity?

To find the components of velocity, you can use vector addition. This involves breaking the velocity vector into its horizontal and vertical components using trigonometric functions.

3) What information do you need to find the components of velocity?

You will need the magnitude and direction of the velocity vector. This can be given in terms of speed and angle, or in terms of its horizontal and vertical components.

4) Can the components of velocity be negative?

Yes, the components of velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction of the respective component.

5) How are the components of velocity used in physics?

The components of velocity are used in physics to analyze and describe the motion of an object. They can be used to calculate the acceleration, displacement, and other important quantities in physics equations.