Why Is My Calculation of Curl (A X B) Incorrect?

• Thread starter sravan_r
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curl Value
So, essentially, you are trying to find the value of Curl of A x B using the vector triple product formula. However, upon carrying out the steps explicitly, you have found that this is not the correct answer. You are seeking guidance on where you may have made a mistake in your calculations. In summary, the problem is to find the value of Curl of A X B using the vector triple product formula, which has not yielded the correct answer and requires further examination.
sravan_r

Homework Statement

The problem is to find the value of Curl of A X B.

I used the usual vector triple product formula to write as below.

Δ X (A X B) = (Δ.B)A - (Δ.A)B = (div B)A - (divA)B

Homework Equations

But this is not the answer. Please suggest where i was wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
sravan_r said:

Homework Statement

The problem is to find the value of Curl of A X B.

I used the usual vector triple product formula to write as below.

Δ X (A X B) = (Δ.B)A - (Δ.A)B = (div B)A - (divA)B

Homework Equations

But this is not the answer. Please suggest where i was wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

Carry out the steps explicitly: [tex] [\nabla \times (A \times B)]_x =
\frac{\partial}{\partial y} (A \times B)_z - \frac{\partial}{\partial z} (A \times B)_y, [/tex] etc.

RGV

Related to Why Is My Calculation of Curl (A X B) Incorrect?

1. What is curl?

Curl is a mathematical operation that measures the rotation of a vector field. It is used to describe the direction and magnitude of fluid flow, electromagnetic fields, and other physical phenomena.

2. Why is finding curl important?

Finding curl is important because it allows us to understand and analyze complex systems in physics, engineering, and other fields. It can help us predict the behavior of fluid flow, design efficient electrical circuits, and more.

3. What is the formula for finding curl?

The formula for finding curl is given by the cross product of the del operator (∇) and the vector field (A). It is represented as curl A = ∇ x A. In terms of components, the formula is: curl A = (∂A_z/∂y - ∂A_y/∂z, ∂A_x/∂z - ∂A_z/∂x, ∂A_y/∂x - ∂A_x/∂y).

4. Can you provide a step-by-step guide for finding curl?

Yes, in "Finding Curl (A x B): A Step-by-Step Guide", you will learn how to find curl by breaking it down into smaller steps, including determining the vector field, calculating the del operator, and taking the cross product. Each step will be explained in detail with examples for better understanding.

5. Are there any real-world applications of finding curl?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of finding curl. Some examples include analyzing fluid flow in pipes and aerodynamics, predicting weather patterns, designing computer graphics and animations, and modeling magnetic fields in MRI machines.