Why must this expression for the curl be wrong?

In summary, the incorrect solution has flipped the vector c in the x-y plane but left the z component unchanged. This solution can't be true because the position vector treats all directions equally.
scotty_le_b

Homework Statement

Without explicit calculation, argue why the following expression cannot be correct: $$\nabla \times (\mathbf{c} \times \mathbf{r}) = c_{2}\mathbf{e_{1}}+c_{1}\mathbf{e_{2}}+c_{3}\mathbf{e_{3}}$$ where ##\mathbf{c}## is a constant vector and ##\mathbf{r}## is the position vector.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So I can do the explicit calculation to see that in fact the curl should be parallel to the vector ##\mathbf{c}## but then I struggle to provide an argument for why this should be so without the calculation.

I think that the incorrect solution has flipped the vector ##\mathbf{c}## in the x-y plane but left the z component unchanged. The position vector treats all directions equally so it seems strange that the z-component of ##\mathbf{c}## should be unchanged by this operation. However, I am unable to explain why this solution can't be true.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
scotty_le_b said:
the explicit calculation to see that in fact the curl should be parallel to the vector c
Can you show us in detail ? What does 'parallel' mean to you ?

Are you allowed to use / familiar with the triple product expansion ?

Hi,

So I used the formula ##\nabla \times(\mathbf{c}\times\mathbf{r}) = (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{r})\mathbf{c}+(\mathbf{r}\cdot\nabla)\mathbf{c}-(\nabla\cdot\mathbf{c})\mathbf{r}-(\mathbf{c}\cdot\nabla)\mathbf{r}##. Then the terms where ##\nabla## acts on ##\mathbf{c}## will be zero since ##\mathbf{c}## is constant. Also ##\nabla \cdot \mathbf{r}=3## and ##(\mathbf{c}\cdot\nabla)\mathbf{r}=\mathbf{c}## so the whole expression reduces to ##3\mathbf{c}-\mathbf{c}=2\mathbf{c}## which is why I though that the answer should then be parallel to ##\mathbf{c}##.

However, I think the point of the question was to justify this intuitively without explicitly doing the calculation above. And that is where I'm unsure.

Thanks

I see. 'Parallel' in the sense of 'linearly dependent'.
I was under the impresssion you worked out the components of ##\vec c \times\vec r## and then applied the ##\vec \nabla \times ## to the result. That, to me, is an explicit calculation. I tried it and I think it yields ##2\,\vec c## as you found.

So you are fine.

However, with the triple product expansion expression in the link I gave, I managed to confuse myself: the Lagrange formula reads $${\bf a}\times\left ( {\bf b} \times {\bf c} \right ) = {\bf b} \left ( {\bf a} \cdot {\bf c} \right ) - {\bf c} \left ( {\bf a} \cdot {\bf b} \right ) $$so that $$
\nabla \times(\mathbf{c}\times\mathbf{r}) = \mathbf{c} (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{r}) - \mathbf{r} (\nabla\cdot \mathbf{c}\ ) \ ,$$ only two terms, and yielding ##3\bf c##...:woot:

Perhaps some math expert can put me right ?

1. Why is the expression for the curl wrong?

The expression for the curl is wrong because it is based on an incorrect understanding of the underlying mathematical principles. It may also be a result of human error in calculations or assumptions made during the analysis.

2. What impact does this incorrect expression for the curl have on our understanding of the phenomenon?

The incorrect expression for the curl can lead to inaccurate predictions and interpretations of the phenomenon being studied. It may also hinder progress in developing more accurate models and theories.

3. How can we identify if an expression for the curl is wrong?

One way to identify if an expression for the curl is wrong is by checking it against known and verified experimental data. If the results do not align, then there is a high chance that the expression is incorrect.

4. Can we still use the incorrect expression for the curl in certain situations?

In some cases, the incorrect expression for the curl may still provide useful approximations or insights. However, it is important to acknowledge its limitations and strive for more accurate representations of the phenomenon.

5. How can we correct an incorrect expression for the curl?

To correct an incorrect expression for the curl, further research and analysis must be conducted to identify the source of the error. This may involve revisiting assumptions, using more precise mathematical techniques, or conducting new experiments.