How to Calculate the Current Flowing Through a Gold Wire?

In summary: If you want to round your result to three significant figures, you would need to round it to 3.54 mA.
david12445

Homework Statement

The terminals of a 0.70 Vwatch battery are connected by a 70.0-m-long gold wire with a diameter of 0.100 mm.
What is the current in the wire?

Homework Equations

V = IR
R = pL/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I try to find resistance first, resistivity of gold is 2.2 * 10 ^-8

Area of the wire is a = pi * r ^ 2
r = ( 0.1 * 10^-3 ) /2

So I found a = 7.85 * 10^-9

Then,
R = 2.2 * 10^-8 * 70 / (7.85 * 10^-9) = 196.1

I plug this into V/R = I, .70/196.1 = .00357 = 3.57 mA, but this answer ends up being wrong. Any help on where I went wrong would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
WolframAlpha agrees. Why do you think it is wrong?
I'm putting exactly 3.57 mA into MasteringPhysics, but it keeps saying my answer is incorrect. http://imgur.com/SZN22sv is an image of what the question is, did I type anything wrong? http://imgur.com/pl1MQbC here are the answers I have already tried.

david12445 said:

Homework Statement

The terminals of a 0.70 Vwatch battery are connected by a 70.0-m-long gold wire with a diameter of 0.100 mm.
What is the current in the wire?

Homework Equations

V = IR
R = pL/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I try to find resistance first, resistivity of gold is 2.2 * 10 ^-8

Area of the wire is a = pi * r ^ 2
r = ( 0.1 * 10^-3 ) /2

So I found a = 7.85 * 10^-9

Then,
R = 2.2 * 10^-8 * 70 / (7.85 * 10^-9) = 196.1

I plug this into V/R = I, .70/196.1 = .00357 = 3.57 mA, but this answer ends up being wrong. Any help on where I went wrong would be appreciated, thanks.
Where does that value for resistiviuty of gold come from?

I searched online for the value of the resistivity of gold wire

Does Mastering Physics provide a reference table of constants to use? Perhaps they have a value for the the resistivity of gold that they expect you to use. The value that you found has just two significant figures and you're told to supply a result with three. This could make a difference in your least significant figure.

gneill said:
Does Mastering Physics provide a reference table of constants to use? Perhaps they have a value for the the resistivity of gold that they expect you to use. The value that you found has just two significant figures and you're told to supply a result with three. This could make a difference in your least significant figure.

No, I don't think there is one. I tried a value to three significant figures, 2.25 * 10^-8 but it still wasn't right. MasteringPhysics is usually pretty good about saying it's right as long as you are close, so that must mean my answer is a good bit off. Are there any numbers I put in wrong?

The value should be in the neighborhood of 3.5 mA. Using various values I've seen for the resistivity of gold I get a range from about 3.51 mA to 3.55 mA.

Could be the question is "broken" in Mastering Physics.

Mastering Physics is a stickler for significant figures. Your textbook has a table of resistivities.

1. What is current and how is it measured in a wire?

Current is the flow of electric charge in a wire or any electrical conductor. It is measured in units of amperes (A) using a tool called an ammeter, which is connected in series with the wire to measure the amount of current passing through it.

2. How does the current flow in a wire?

Current flows in a wire due to the movement of free electrons. These electrons are negatively charged and are attracted towards the positive terminal of a power source, creating a flow of electricity through the wire.

3. What factors affect the amount of current in a wire?

The amount of current in a wire is affected by the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the wire, and the length and thickness of the wire. Higher voltage and thicker, shorter wires will result in a larger current, while higher resistance will decrease the current.

4. How can I calculate the current in a wire?

To calculate the current in a wire, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) equals voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). This can be written as I = V/R. Alternatively, you can use a multimeter to directly measure the current in a wire.

5. What are some applications of finding current in a wire?

Finding current in a wire is important in many practical applications, such as designing electrical circuits, troubleshooting faulty wiring, and ensuring the safe use of electrical devices. It is also used in industries such as electronics, telecommunications, and power generation and distribution.