Finding definite integral (trigonometric)

In summary, the conversation is about finding bounds for the value of the integral of x*sin(x) from 0 to pi. The person asking the question is unsure of how to solve it and asks for clarification. Another person suggests graphing the functions involved to gain a better understanding. The person asking the question then realizes how to solve it and confirms their understanding with the other person. They also mention that there may be other possible bounds for the integral.
Lord Dark

Homework Statement

Hi guys ,, i have the following question (it's in the attachment) :
Find m and M such that m <= x sin x <= M if 0 <=x <= pi. (Any reasonably good bounds will do,
I am not asking for the best possible bounds.)
Hence find bounds on the value of the integral[x sin(x),0 to pi]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have a formal solution (it's in the attachment) but the problem is i don't understand the question. Before i saw the question ,, i tried to solved it like this :
since (0 <=x <= pi) then 0 <= x sin x <= 0 ( i solved for zero and pi) ,, and stopped there.
can anyone tell me the problem in a way that i can understand ,, and in the answer it says "This is certainly not the best you could do, but it is definitely a bound" what does he mean ? is there many other ways to solve it ?? . (Thanks in advanced)

Attachments

• Question.JPG
    Question.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 364
Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone tell me the problem in a way that i can understand

If you graph the three functions y=x*sin(x), y=x, and y=-x using a window of xmin=0, xmax=30, ymin=-30, ymax=30, then I bet you will understand.

If you're still puzzled, just graph the two functions y=abs(x*sin(x)) and y=x using the same window. Ask again if you are still confused after graphing.

yep ,, got it :D ,, thanks very much mate,, but there is something else ,, i can get other bounds right ?? such as :
0<= integral[x*sin(x),0 to pi]<= ((pi)^2)/2 ,, is this right ?

Lord Dark said:
yep ,, got it :D ,, thanks very much mate,, but there is something else ,, i can get other bounds right ?? such as :
0<= integral[x*sin(x),0 to pi]<= ((pi)^2)/2 ,, is this right ?

Make it 0<= | integral[x*sin(x),0 to pi] | <= ((pi)^2)/2 (with absolute value) and I'll agree.

Edited to add: Oh, never mind. x *sin(x) is positive there. Good job.

lol ,, thanks :D

Related to Finding definite integral (trigonometric)

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and has a lower limit and upper limit, which indicate the range of values over which the area is being calculated.

2. How does trigonometry relate to definite integrals?

Trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, are often used to model real-world phenomena. Definite integrals are used to find the area under these curves, making them an important tool in solving trigonometric problems.

3. What is the process for finding a definite integral?

The process for finding a definite integral involves taking the antiderivative of a function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits. This can be done analytically using integration techniques, or numerically using approximation methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule.

4. How can trigonometric identities be used to simplify definite integrals?

Trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identity and the double angle identities, can be used to simplify integrals involving trigonometric functions. This can make the integration process easier and more efficient.

5. Can definite integrals be used for applications other than finding area?

Yes, definite integrals have many applications in science and engineering. They can be used to calculate volumes, solve differential equations, and model physical phenomena, among other things.