Finding Distance with Constant Acceleration

In summary, the problem asks for the distance from the starting point (in feet) when the car overtakes and passes the truck, given that the car starts with a constant acceleration of 5.00 ft/s^2 and the truck is traveling with a constant speed of 70.0 ft/s. The solution involves finding the time it takes for the car to catch up to the truck and using that time to calculate the distance traveled by both vehicles. The correct answer is not one of the options provided in the attempt at a solution.
B18

Homework Statement

At the instant the traffic light turns green, a car starts with a constant acceleration of 5.00 ft/s^2. At the same instant a truck, traveling with a constant speed of 70.0 ft/s, overtakes and passes the car. How far from the starting point (in feet) will the car overtake the truck?

Homework Equations

Well I know the 4 kinematic equations for motion with constant acceleration.
I know final velocity of the truck=final velocity of the car.

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the time it took for the car to catch the truck i divided 70ft/s by 5.0ft/s^2=14.0s
t=14
Xi=0
Vi=0
a=5.0ft/s^2

Ive got the answers 490ft, 1015ft, 980 ft which are all incorrect. Am I using the wrong value for something here?

I appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
B18 said:

Homework Statement

At the instant the traffic light turns green, a car starts with a constant acceleration of 5.00 ft/s^2. At the same instant a truck, traveling with a constant speed of 70.0 ft/s, overtakes and passes the car. How far from the starting point (in feet) will the car overtake the truck?

Hi B18! The question DOES NOT ask how many seconds until the car's speed matches that of the truck!

The question asks: how many feet from their starting point are they seen to be side-by-side? Big difference

Likes 1 person
NascentOxygen said:
Hi B18! The question DOES NOT ask how many seconds until the car's speed matches that of the truck!

The question asks: how many feet from their starting point are they seen to be side-by-side? Big difference

Hi NascentOxygen. Thanks for the reply. I am sorry I wasn't more specific. I found t=14 s. After plugging in the values I know I wasn't getting the correct answer.

What I mean is the t value I found correct? Did it take the car 14 s to reach the truck??

Wouldn't you need to know the duration of time in this problem??

I haven't worked it out, but I can see that dividing that v by that a will give you the time when the car reaches a speed of 70' per sec. The problem does not require you to determine anything relating to the event of the car's speed matching that of the truck. The problem involves equal distances, not equal speeds.

Thank you.Hi there,

Your approach is correct, but there are a few things you need to consider in order to get the correct answer.

Firstly, you are correct in using the kinematic equations for motion with constant acceleration. However, you need to make sure that you are using the correct equations for the situation. In this case, since you are trying to find distance, you need to use the equation d = vit + 1/2at^2, where d is the distance, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. This will give you the distance traveled by the car in 14 seconds.

Secondly, you need to consider the initial velocity of the car. The car is starting from rest, so its initial velocity is 0 ft/s. This means that vi = 0 in the equation above.

Thirdly, you need to make sure that you are using the correct final velocity for the car. In this case, the final velocity of the car is not equal to the final velocity of the truck. The car is accelerating, so its final velocity will be greater than 70 ft/s. To find the final velocity of the car, you can use the equation vf = vi + at, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, vf = 5 ft/s^2 * 14 s = 70 ft/s. This means that the final velocity of the car is 70 ft/s, not 70 ft/s^2.

Using all of this information, you can now solve for the distance traveled by the car. Plugging in the values into the equation d = vit + 1/2at^2, you get d = 0 + 1/2 * 5 ft/s^2 * (14 s)^2 = 490 ft. This is the correct answer.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work.

1. How do you find the distance traveled with constant acceleration?

To find the distance traveled with constant acceleration, you can use the equation d = v0t + 1/2at2, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration.

2. What is the formula for calculating acceleration?

The formula for calculating acceleration is a = (vf - v0) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

3. How do you calculate the time taken with constant acceleration?

To calculate the time taken with constant acceleration, you can use the equation t = (vf - v0) / a, where t is the time, vf is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration.

4. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration tells us how fast the object's velocity is changing.

5. Can you have a negative acceleration?

Yes, it is possible to have a negative acceleration. This means that the object is slowing down, or decreasing in velocity, over time. This can happen if the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity, or if it is experiencing a force that is slowing it down.