Finding ds² on a Cone: How to Use Geodesic Equations for Parallel Transport

In summary, To compute parallel transport around a cone, there are two ways to do it: setting up a coordinate system on the cone and computing the connection coefficients for that coordinate system, or using the fact that a cone is just a section of the plane glued together in a particular way. The latter method involves parallel transporting a vector around a closed loop on the plane, which results in a rotation through the angle Q. In terms of coordinate systems, r represents the distance from the vertex of the cone to the point, and phi represents the longitudinal coordinate that goes from 0 to
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
1614370513722.png

I am having too much trouble to solve this exercise, see:

Using (R,phi,z)
ub is the path derivative
U is the path
V is the vector

$$V^{a};_{b}u^{b} = (\partial_{b}V^{a} + \Gamma^{a}_{\mu b} V^{\mu})u^{b}$$

$$U = (0,\theta,Z)$$

I am not sure what line element to use, i mean, a circle around a cone does reduce to a plane, but i think this isn't right...

Physics news on Phys.org
What is ##\alpha##?

Office_Shredder said:
What is ##\alpha##?
May be the angle at which the cone opens!

Likes LCSphysicist
martinbn said:
May be the angle at which the cone opens!
##2 \alpha## is the angle at which the cone opens :)
Thank you

To compute parallel transport around a cone, you can do it two different ways:
  1. You can set up a coordinate system on the cone, and compute the connection coefficients for that coordinate system, and then use them for parallel transport.
  2. (This is the really easy way) You can use the fact that a cone is just a section of the plane glued together in a particular way. Parallel transport on the plane is trivial using Cartesian coordinates. However, if you parallel-transport a vector over the "seam" where the two edges are glued together, there will be a discontinuous jump in the direction the vector is pointing (when viewed in Cartesian coordinates---the change is continuous in cone-based coordinates described in 1.)

Likes LCSphysicist
stevendaryl said:
To compute parallel transport around a cone, you can do it two different ways:
  1. You can set up a coordinate system on the cone, and compute the connection coefficients for that coordinate system, and then use them for parallel transport.
  2. (This is the really easy way) You can use the fact that a cone is just a section of the plane glued together in a particular way. Parallel transport on the plane is trivial using Cartesian coordinates. However, if you parallel-transport a vector over the "seam" where the two edges are glued together, there will be a discontinuous jump in the direction the vector is pointing (when viewed in Cartesian coordinates---the change is continuous in cone-based coordinates described in 1.)

transport.jpeg

I apologize for the hand-drawn picture, because I don't have access to a drawing program. Suppose you have a disk on the plane with a sector missing with angle ##Q##. There are two "cuts" shown: one vertical, and one that makes an angle of ##Q## relative to the vertical. Take a vector that is pointing straight up and transport it around the loop indicated by the dashed line. Initially, the vector points in the same direction as the first cut. After parallel-transporting it around the loop, it now makes an angle of ##Q## relative to the second cut.

Now, if we "glue" the two cuts together, then the cut disk becomes a cone, and the dashed path becomes a closed loop. So parallel transporting the vector around that loop causes a rotation through the angle ##Q##.

(The angle ##Q## is not equal to your ##2 \alpha##, but they are related.)

Likes LCSphysicist
stevendaryl said:
View attachment 278791

I apologize for the hand-drawn picture, because I don't have access to a drawing program. Suppose you have a disk on the plane with a sector missing with angle ##Q##. There are two "cuts" shown: one vertical, and one that makes an angle of ##Q## relative to the vertical. Take a vector that is pointing straight up and transport it around the loop indicated by the dashed line. Initially, the vector points in the same direction as the first cut. After parallel-transporting it around the loop, it now makes an angle of ##Q## relative to the second cut.

Now, if we "glue" the two cuts together, then the cut disk becomes a cone, and the dashed path becomes a closed loop. So parallel transporting the vector around that loop causes a rotation through the angle ##Q##.

(The angle ##Q## is not equal to your ##2 \alpha##, but they are related.)
Hello, thank you for the reply. This way is obviously beautiful and simple, but i am interesting too in improving my abilities in using the geodesic equations, so i want to try the other way too.
Particularly, i am having too much trouble to know how to get an equation to find the ds² in this case, do you have any clue?thx

Herculi said:
Hello, thank you for the reply. This way is obviously beautiful and simple, but i am interesting too in improving my abilities in using the geodesic equations, so i want to try the other way too.
Particularly, i am having too much trouble to know how to get an equation to find the ds² in this case, do you have any clue?thx

Yes, you started down that path in your first post. Let's set up a coordinate system on the surface of the cone as follows:

• ##r## is the distance from the vertex of the cone to the point.
  • ##\phi## is the "longitudinal" coordinate that goes from 0 to ##2 \pi## around the cone.

You can relate these coordinates to the cartesian coordinates ##(x,y,z)## as follows:

• ##x = r sin(\alpha) cos(\phi)##
  • ##y = r sin(\alpha) sin(\phi)##
  • ##z = r cos(\alpha)##

This would be a cone with the vertex at the point ##(x = 0, y=0, z=0)## opening upward, with the axis of the cone parallel to the z-axis.

Now, consider two nearby points on the cone. The distance between those points would be given by:

##ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2 ##
## = (dr sin(\alpha) cos(\phi) - r d \phi sin(\alpha) cos(\phi))^2##
## + (dr sin(\alpha) sin(\phi) + r d \phi sin(\alpha) sin(\phi))^2##
## + (dr cos(\alpha))^2##

(there's no ##d \alpha##, since ##\alpha## is constant)

Compare this to ##ds^2 = g_{rr} dr^2 + g_{\phi \phi} dr d\phi + g_{\phi r} d\phi dr + g_{\phi \phi} d\phi^2##

to figure out ##g_{rr}## and ##g_{r \phi}## (the other two are zero). Then you figure out the ##\Gamma^\alpha_{\beta \gamma}## from ##g_{\mu \nu}## and its derivatives. Then you use the parallel transport equation to find out how ##V^\alpha## changes as you move along a path.

It's a lot of work, but that's the plan.

1. What is parallel transport?

Parallel transport is a concept in differential geometry that refers to the movement of a vector or object along a curve without changing its direction. It involves moving the vector or object in such a way that it always remains tangent to the curve at every point, thus maintaining its direction.

2. What is the significance of parallel transport?

Parallel transport is important in understanding the geometry of curved spaces, such as in general relativity. It allows us to compare vectors or objects at different points on a curved surface, and determine if they are parallel or not. This is crucial in understanding the curvature of a space and how it affects the movement of objects within it.

3. What is a cone in mathematics?

In mathematics, a cone is a three-dimensional geometric shape that has a circular base and a curved surface that tapers to a point, known as the apex. It can also be thought of as a pyramid with a circular base. Cones are commonly used in geometry and calculus to represent surfaces and volumes of objects.

4. How is parallel transport related to cones?

Parallel transport is closely related to cones in that the direction of a vector or object remains unchanged when transported along a circular path on the surface of a cone. This is because the circular path is always tangent to the surface of the cone, thus maintaining the direction of the vector or object.

5. Can parallel transport be applied to curved surfaces other than cones?

Yes, parallel transport can be applied to any curved surface, not just cones. It is a fundamental concept in differential geometry and is used to study and understand the geometry of various curved spaces, including spheres, cylinders, and more complex surfaces. It is also applicable in other fields such as physics and engineering.