Finding eigenstates and eigenvalues of hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation is discussing finding the eigenstates and eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian operator, which is given by the kets |a'> and |a''>. The conversation also touches on using the general det(H - λI) = 0 to find the eigenvalues and the possibility of taking the ∂ symbol out of the Hamiltonian equation. The conversation then goes on to discuss finding the probability of the system being in state |a''> for t>0, if it is known to be in state |a'> at t=0. The correct plan of action is to express |a'> and |a''> in terms of the eigenstates of H, and then substitute these into the Schrodinger picture equation
beans73
Hey there, the question I'm working on is written below:-

Let |a'> and |a''> be eigenstates of a Hermitian operator A with eigenvalues a' and a'' respectively. (a'≠a'') The Hamiltonian operator is given by:

H = |a'>∂<a''| + |a''>∂<a'|

where ∂ is just a real number.

Write down the eigenstates of the hamiltonian. what are their energy eigenvalues?

Was feeling a bit confused by the question at first, and was just wondering if someone could let me know if my thoughts so far are on the right track?

Essentially, I just wrote the eigenstates as the kets: |E[itex]_{a'}[/itex]> and |E[itex]_{a''}[/itex]>. In order to find the eigenvalues of the energy, I constructed the matrix:

H = [tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
0 & ∂\\
∂ & 0
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]so that I could use the general det(H - λI) = 0 to find the eigenvalues. is this reasoning vaguely in the correct direction?

Also, was just wondering, if in the original hamiltonian equation, I'm allowed to take the ∂ symbol out (written below) because it is just a real number?

H = ∂(|a'><a''| + |a''><a'|)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes to both, you are headed in the right direction

thanks for that. i have actually continued on with this problem, and I've come across another question.

i found the eigenvalues to be ±∂. the problem then asks

b) suppose the system is known to be in state |a'> at t=0. write down the schrodinger picture for t>0.

Which my working out is:|α, t[itex]_{0}[/itex]=0> = |a'>

|α, t[itex]_{0}[/itex]=0; t> = U(t,t[itex]_{0}[/itex])|a'>
=U(t,0)|a'>
=exp( (-iE[itex]_{a'}[/itex]t) / h-bar )|a'>
=exp( -i∂t / h-bar )|a'>

question c)
what is the probability for finding the system in state |a''> for t>0, if the system is known to be in state |a'> at t=0?

for this, i was thinking that for |a''>= U(t,t[itex]_{0}[/itex])|a'> = =exp( -i∂t / h-bar )|a'>

and for the probability, i need to calculate |<a''|a'>|[itex]^{2}[/itex] = |(exp( -i∂t / h-bar ) <a'| )(|a'>)|[itex]^{2}[/itex], where <a'|a'> = 1

am i allowed to do this? I'm probably ignoring something important...

beans73 said:
thanks for that. i have actually continued on with this problem, and I've come across another question.

i found the eigenvalues to be ±∂. the problem then asks

b) suppose the system is known to be in state |a'> at t=0. write down the schrodinger picture for t>0.

Which my working out is:|α, t[itex]_{0}[/itex]=0> = |a'>

=U(t,0)|a'>
=exp( (-iE[itex]_{a'}[/itex]t) / h-bar )|a'>
=exp( -i∂t / h-bar )|a'>
The state ##\lvert a'\rangle## isn't an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian, so it's not correct to say it has an energy ##E_{a'}##. You need to express ##\lvert a'\rangle## in terms of the eigenstates of H.

oh ok then. would this be the right plan of action then?

using the eigenvectors i found for the hamiltonian|E[itex]_{1}[/itex]> = (1,1) and |E[itex]_{2}[/itex]> = (1,-1). i then constructed:

||E[itex]_{1}[/itex]> = |a'> + |a''> and
|E[itex]_{2}[/itex]> = |a'> - |a''> ( i have left out the normalization constant here)

then i can have |a'> and |a''> written in terms of the eigenstates of H. back in the schrodinger picture, can i then substitute |a'> for |E[itex]_{1}[/itex]>+|E[itex]_{2}[/itex]>, and then use E[itex]_{1}[/itex] & E[itex]_{1}[/itex] in the exponential? ==>

=U(t,0)|a'>
=exp((-iE[itex]_{a}[/itex]′t) / h-bar)|a'>
=(exp(-i∂t/h-bar)||E[itex]_{1}[/itex]> + exp(i∂t/h-bar)||E[itex]_{2}[/itex]>

then sub |a'> and |a''> back into this equation?

Yes, that's exactly what you want to do.

yay! thanks for your help :)

Related to Finding eigenstates and eigenvalues of hamiltonian

1. What are eigenstates and eigenvalues?

Eigenstates and eigenvalues are concepts in quantum mechanics that describe the properties of a physical system. An eigenstate is a state of the system that remains unchanged when the system is measured. The corresponding eigenvalue is the value that is obtained when measuring the property associated with that eigenstate.

2. How do we find the eigenstates and eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian?

The Hamiltonian is the operator that represents the total energy of a system. To find the eigenstates and eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian, we need to solve the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes how the state of a physical system changes over time. The solutions to this equation are the eigenstates and the corresponding eigenvalues are the energy levels of the system.

3. Why is it important to find the eigenstates and eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian?

Finding the eigenstates and eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian is important because it allows us to understand the behavior and properties of a physical system. It also helps us make predictions about the outcomes of measurements and the evolution of the system over time.

4. Can the eigenstates and eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian change over time?

No, the eigenstates and eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian do not change over time. They are constants of the system and remain the same regardless of the state of the system or the time at which it is measured.

5. How are eigenstates and eigenvalues related to observable quantities?

Eigenstates and eigenvalues are directly related to observable quantities in quantum mechanics. The eigenstate of an operator represents the state in which the measurement of that observable quantity will yield a definite value, while the corresponding eigenvalue is the value that will be obtained from that measurement.