Finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors given sub-matrices

In summary, the solution is to find the eigenvector and eigenvalue for the matrix, A, that corresponds to the desired eigenvalue.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this,
1685494468803.png

The solution is,
1685494576554.png

1685494595484.png

However, does someone please know what allows them to express the eigenvector for each of the sub-matrix in terms of t?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
From the definition a multiple of any eigenvector is also trivially an eigenvector. So who did this?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Any matrix operator is linear. So ##A (tv)= t A v ## for any vector, ##v##.
Now use that in your case with the eigenvector and eigenvalue.

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields
You need to take into account that both conditions hold. If ##a\not = -1##, then there are two eigenvalues and the corresponding eigenvectors are multiples of the two given vectors. If ##a=-1##, then there is only one eigenvalue and all vectors are eigenvectors.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Thank you for your replies @hutchphd, @FactChecker and @martinbn !

So I am coming to think of it like this considering the most general case I could think of:

##A\vec v = \lambda\vec v##
##At\vec v = \lambda t\vec v## multiply both sides by a scalar ##t## which is a member of the reals
Therefore, the definition of eigenvector and eigenvalue, ##t\vec v## is an eigenvectors for ##\lambda## and ##\lambda## is the eigenvalue for A.

Is that please correct?

Many thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:
##A\vec v = \lambda\vec v##
##At\vec v = \lambda t\vec v## multiply both sides by a scalar ##t## which is a member of the reals
Therefore, the definition of eigenvector and eigenvalue, ##t\vec v## is an eigenvectors for ##\lambda## and ##\lambda## is the eigenvalue for A.

Is that please correct?
Yes, but it would be better if you rephrased your statement to more clearly match the definition of an eigenvector and eigenvalue:
Suppose ##\lambda## and ##\vec v## are eigenvalue and eigenvector of ##A##, respectively. For any ##t \in \mathbb{R}##, where ##t \ne 0##, ##A( \vec {tv}) = t A\vec v = t \lambda \vec v = \lambda \vec {tv}##. So ##\vec {tv}## is also an eigenvector of ##A## with the eigenvalue ##\lambda##.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd and ChiralSuperfields
FactChecker said:
Yes, but it would be better if you rephrased your statement to more clearly match the definition of an eigenvector and eigenvalue:
Suppose ##\lambda## and ##\vec v## are eigenvalue and eigenvector of ##A##, respectively. For any ##t \in \mathbb{R}##, where ##t \ne 0##, ##A( \vec {tv}) = t A\vec v = t \lambda \vec v = \lambda \vec {tv}##. So ##\vec {tv}## is also an eigenvector of ##A## with the eigenvalue ##\lambda##.
Thank you for your help @FactChecker!

ChiralSuperfields said:
Thank you for your help @FactChecker!
Actually, I realize that your statement did match the definitions of eigenvector and eigenvalue, but I think that I have rephrased it more as a step-by-step proof.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
FactChecker said:
Actually, I realize that your statement did match the definitions of eigenvector and eigenvalue, but I think that I have rephrased it more as a step-by-step proof.
Thank you for your reply @FactChecker! Yeah I only just realized the definition of eigenvector is for a value of ##\lambda## not the matrix A too!

ChiralSuperfields said:
Thank you for your reply @FactChecker! Yeah I only just realized the definition of eigenvector is for a value of ##\lambda## not the matrix A too!
It's for the combination of the matrix, ##A##, and the eigenvalue ##\lambda##

Likes ChiralSuperfields
FactChecker said:
It's for the combination of the matrix, ##A##, and the eigenvalue ##\lambda##
Oh, thank you for you letting me know @FactChecker !

1. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are mathematical concepts used to describe the behavior of linear transformations. Eigenvalues represent the scale factor by which a vector is stretched or shrunk when it is transformed, while eigenvectors represent the direction of this transformation.

2. How do you find eigenvalues and eigenvectors given sub-matrices?

To find eigenvalues and eigenvectors given sub-matrices, you can use various methods such as the characteristic polynomial method or the power method. These methods involve solving equations and performing matrix operations to determine the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

3. Why is it important to find eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They can be used to solve systems of differential equations, analyze the stability of dynamic systems, and perform data analysis and dimensionality reduction.

4. What are some applications of eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors have many applications in different fields. In physics, they can be used to study the behavior of quantum particles and describe the vibrations of structures. In computer science, they are used in image and signal processing, data clustering, and recommender systems. In engineering, they can be used to analyze the stability and performance of control systems.

5. Are there any real-world examples of eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of eigenvalues and eigenvectors. For instance, in transportation systems, they can be used to determine the optimal routes for vehicles. In social networks, they can be used to identify influential individuals. In finance, they can be used to analyze stock market trends and portfolio diversification. In chemistry, they can be used to study molecular vibrations and predict chemical reactions.