Finding equivalent capacitance

In summary, the three paths have different capacitances, and the direction of current flow is determined by the direction of the diagonal across the parallel paths.
jolly_math
Homework Statement
Find the equivalent capacitance between points a and b in the combination of capacitors shown in the figure.
Relevant Equations
parallel: C = C1 + C2 + ...
series: 1/C = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + ...
1674325274705.png

There are 3 parallel paths: one through 4.0 µF, one through 6.0 µF, and one through 5.0 µF and 7.0 µF.

Why wouldn't there be another path through 4.0 µF, 7.0 µF, 5.0 µF, and 6.0 µF? Also, what determines the direction of current flow when there is a diagonal across parallel paths? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can redraw the circuit to make things clearer. The endpoints a and b can be moved anywhere along the lines they connect to, so move them to the bottom and top points as follows:
Image 1.png

Then straighten out the bends to make the image more clear:
1674328506678.png

You should be able to work out the combined capacitance from there?

Last edited:
Likes Nway, berkeman, jolly_math and 2 others
gneill said:
You can redraw the circuit to make things clearer. The endpoints a and b can be moved anywhere along the lines they connect to, so move them to the bottom and top points as follows:
View attachment 320824

Then straighten out the bends to make the image more clear:
View attachment 320825

You should be able to work out the combined capacitance from there?
Sorry please explain @gneill how you got from the top image to the bottom image. I don't see how they are equivalent. Why are you allowed to move the end points a and b around and the diagonal wire in the middle?

Attachments

• 1674356128023.png
    1674356128023.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 59
This might help.

Treat the connecting wire as ideal.
If you take a voltmeter with one probe fixed,
you can move the other probe along the wire of the same color
without changing the voltage reading.

Update: For clarity, I recolored the middle equipotential with a more distinct shade of green
and the bottom equipotential with a more distinct shade of blue.
(It wasn't my intention to shade according to numerical sizes of the potential,
just according to unequal potentials.) Thanks.

1674379765402.png
1674379772298.png

Focus on connectivity... not shape or geometry.

Last edited:
Likes Nway and nasu
The color coding to denote equipotential conductor is nice to show the connectivity, however I think that that the floating piece between the 7.0 μF and 5.0 μF capacitors should be labeled by a different color from the other two because when the capacitors are charged, it will be at an intermediate potential between blue and magenta.

Likes Nway
kuruman said:
The color coding to denote equipotential conductor is nice to show the connectivity, however I think that that the floating piece between the 7.0 μF and 5.0 μF capacitors should be labeled by a different color from the other two because when the capacitors are charged, it will be at an intermediate potential between blue and magenta.
I think the intermediate wire in @robphy post is green not blue. A rather subtle difference in the two colors .

Likes Nway and Tom.G
robphy said:
This might help.

Treat the connecting wire as ideal.
If you take a voltmeter with one probe fixed,
you can move the other probe along the wire of the same color
without changing the voltage reading.

Update: For clarity, I recolored the middle equipotential with a more distinct shade of green
and the bottom equipotential with a more distinct shade of blue.
(It wasn't my intention to shade according to numerical sizes of the potential,
just according to unequal potentials.) Thanks.

View attachment 320885View attachment 320886

Focus on connectivity... not shape or geometry.
Sir thank you.

1. What is equivalent capacitance?

Equivalent capacitance is a measure of the total capacitance of a circuit or system. It represents the combined effect of multiple capacitors in a circuit and is usually expressed in units of farads (F).

2. Why is finding equivalent capacitance important?

Finding equivalent capacitance is important because it allows us to simplify complex circuits and make calculations easier. It also helps us understand the behavior of the circuit as a whole and determine the overall capacitance required for a specific application.

3. How do you calculate equivalent capacitance for capacitors in series?

To calculate equivalent capacitance for capacitors in series, you can use the formula: 1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ... + 1/Cn, where Ceq is the equivalent capacitance and C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitances of the capacitors in series.

4. How do you calculate equivalent capacitance for capacitors in parallel?

To calculate equivalent capacitance for capacitors in parallel, you can use the formula: Ceq = C1 + C2 + C3 + ... + Cn, where Ceq is the equivalent capacitance and C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitances of the capacitors in parallel.

5. What are some real-world applications of equivalent capacitance?

Equivalent capacitance is used in many electronic devices, such as radios, televisions, and computers. It is also important in power distribution systems, where it helps determine the total capacitance of transmission lines and improve energy efficiency. Additionally, equivalent capacitance is used in medical equipment, such as defibrillators, and in energy storage systems, such as batteries and capacitors.