Finding Fixed Points for F, B, A

In summary: The idea in that section is to investigate the behavior of \(R\) for various values of \(\omega\), but not to solve the duffing equation for \(\omega=1\). What is your aim, to...
Dustinsfl
Is there a clean may to get the fixed points for
\begin{alignat*}{9}
F - 2B' - cB - \frac{3}{4}AB^2 - \frac{3}{4}A^3 & = & 0 & \quad & \Rightarrow & \quad & B' & = & \frac{1}{2}F - \frac{c}{2}B - \frac{3}{8}AB^2 - \frac{3}{8}A^3\\
2A' + cA - \frac{3}{4}A^2B - \frac{3}{4}B^3 & = & 0 & \quad & \Rightarrow & \quad & A' & = & \frac{3}{8}A^2B + \frac{3}{8}B^3 - \frac{c}{2}A
\end{alignat*}

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
Is there a clean may to get the fixed points for
\begin{alignat*}{9}
F - 2B' - cB - \frac{3}{4}AB^2 - \frac{3}{4}A^3 & = & 0 & \quad & \Rightarrow & \quad & B' & = & \frac{1}{2}F - \frac{c}{2}B - \frac{3}{8}AB^2 - \frac{3}{8}A^3\\
2A' + cA - \frac{3}{4}A^2B - \frac{3}{4}B^3 & = & 0 & \quad & \Rightarrow & \quad & A' & = & \frac{3}{8}A^2B + \frac{3}{8}B^3 - \frac{c}{2}A
\end{alignat*}

Does \(F\) and \(c\) stand for constants?

Sudharaka said:
Does \(F\) and \(c\) stand for constants?

Yes c must be positive because it is dampening. F is forcing. This comes from a weak nonlinear oscillator.

Sudharaka said:
Since you have a system of polynomial equations you can try to solve it using a numerical method. Here are some articles describing about numerical methods to solve polynomial systems.

1) System of polynomial equations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2) http://math.berkeley.edu/~bernd/cbms.pdf

>>Here<< is the answer that Wolfram gives. :)

On page 176, why are doing what they are doing. Neglect the k_1 term since in my problem omega was 1.

http://audiophile.tam.cornell.edu/randdocs/nlvibe52.pdf

Sudharaka said:
There is only 153 pages in your attached pdf.

I meant page 36

dwsmith said:
On page 176, why are doing what they are doing. Neglect the k_1 term since in my problem omega was 1.

http://audiophile.tam.cornell.edu/randdocs/nlvibe52.pdf

dwsmith said:
I meant page 36

The author had obtained a function between \(\omega\) and \(R\). Is there any particular thing that you don't understand there?

Last edited:
Sudharaka said:
The author had obtained a function between \(\omega\) and \(R\) Is there any particular thing that you don't understand there?

I am trying to relate what he did for when $\omega = 1$ but I can't figure it out. The equation I started with is
$$
x'' + x + \epsilon cx' + \epsilon x^3 = \epsilon F\cos t, \quad\quad\epsilon\ll 1,
$$

dwsmith said:
I am trying to relate what he did for when $\omega = 1$ but I can't figure it out. The equation I started with is
$$
x'' + x + \epsilon cx' + \epsilon x^3 = \epsilon F\cos t, \quad\quad\epsilon\ll 1,
$$

Note that equation 181 gives a relation between \(\omega\) and \(R\). He had drawn the curves for each of the following situations.

1) \(c=0\mbox{ and }F=0\)

2) \(c=0\mbox{ and }F>0\)

i) \(A=R\)

ii)\(A=-R\)

3) \(c>0\mbox{ and }F>0\)

All of these three curves have a value when, \(\omega=1\). For the first situation \(R=0\) is the value at \(\omega=0\). For second and third situations you can obtain the value of \(R\) at \(\omega=0\) using equation 181.

Sudharaka said:
Note that equation 181 gives a relation between \(\omega\) and \(R\). He had drawn the curves for each of the following situations.

1) \(c=0\mbox{ and }F=0\)

2) \(c=0\mbox{ and }F>0\)

i) \(A=R\)

ii)\(A=-R\)

3) \(c>0\mbox{ and }F>0\)

All of these three curves have a value when, \(\omega=1\). For the first situation \(R=0\) is the value at \(\omega=0\). For second and third situations you can obtain the value of \(R\) at \(\omega=0\) using equation 181.

He has a $k_1$ term that comes from expanding $\omega$. Since I don't need to expand omega, I don't have a $k_1$ term. I don't see how to move on from where I am at looking at his argument. I tried making $k_1 = 0$ but he solves for $k_1$ and uses it later on.

dwsmith said:
He has a $k_1$ term that comes from expanding $\omega$. Since I don't need to expand omega, I don't have a $k_1$ term. I don't see how to move on from where I am at looking at his argument. I tried making $k_1 = 0$ but he solves for $k_1$ and uses it later on.

The idea in that section is to investigate the behavior of \(R\) for various values of \(\omega\), but not to solve the duffing equation for \(\omega=1\). What is your aim, to obtain a solution to the Duffing equation?

Sudharaka said:
The idea in that section is to investigate the behavior of \(R\) for various values of \(\omega\), but not to solve the duffing equation for \(\omega=1\). What is your aim, to obtain a solution to the Duffing equation?

I am trying to determine the large-time solution dynamics

1. What is a fixed point for F, B, A?

A fixed point for F, B, A is a value that remains unchanged when passed through the functions F, B, and A. In other words, the output of the functions will equal the input value, making it a "fixed" point.

2. Why is finding fixed points for F, B, A important?

Finding fixed points for F, B, A is important because it allows us to identify values that are stable and do not change when passed through the functions. This can help us understand the behavior of the functions and make predictions about the system they represent.

3. How do you find fixed points for F, B, A?

To find fixed points for F, B, A, we need to set the output of the functions equal to the input value and solve for the variable. This will give us the value(s) that remain unchanged when passed through the functions.

4. Can there be multiple fixed points for F, B, A?

Yes, there can be multiple fixed points for F, B, A. In some cases, there may be no fixed points, and in others, there may be an infinite number of fixed points. It depends on the nature of the functions and their relationship to each other.

5. How can finding fixed points for F, B, A be applied in real-world situations?

Finding fixed points for F, B, A can be applied in various fields such as economics, biology, and physics. For example, in economics, fixed points can help determine stable prices in a market, while in biology, they can help identify stable population levels in a food chain. In physics, they can be used to calculate stable orbits in a gravitational system.