Finding focal lens of compound microscope

In summary, using the given values for the eyepiece and objective lens, the total magnification is 708X. The focal length of the eyepiece is 2.08 cm, while the focal length of the objective lens is 0.34 cm. To see the object in focus, it must be placed at a distance of 5.2 cm from the objective lens for a normal relaxed eye.
xQuin
The question is:

A microscope has a 12.0 X eyepiece and a 59.0X objective lens 20.0cm apart. Calculate
(a) the total magnification, (b) the focal length of each lens, and (c) where the object must be, for a normal relaxed eye to see it in focus.

I have solved (a) easily through M = moMe, for (b), I have managed to obtain the focal length of the eyepiece being 2.08 cm. But I am having difficulty finding the focal length of the objective lens. When I apply the formula m = D/f + 1 I don't get the answer provided.

Can anyone help me out?
Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
!(a) Total magnification = 708X(b) Eyepiece focal length = 2.08 cm; Objective lens focal length = 0.34 cm(c) Object must be placed at a distance of 5.2 cm from the objective lens for a normal relaxed eye to see it in focus.

Related to Finding focal lens of compound microscope

What is a compound microscope?

A compound microscope is a type of optical microscope that uses multiple lenses to magnify an object. It typically has two or more lenses, including an objective lens and an eyepiece lens, which work together to produce a magnified image of the specimen.

What is the focal length of a compound microscope?

The focal length of a compound microscope refers to the distance between the lens and the point where the object being viewed is in focus. It is an important measurement as it determines the magnification and clarity of the image produced by the microscope.

How do you find the focal length of a compound microscope?

The focal length of a compound microscope can be found by using a calibration slide or a stage micrometer. By adjusting the position of the slide or micrometer and observing the changes in focus through the microscope, the focal length can be calculated using a simple formula.

Why is it important to know the focal length of a compound microscope?

Knowing the focal length of a compound microscope is important because it allows for accurate magnification and focus of the specimen being viewed. It also helps in determining the quality and precision of the microscope's lenses.

Can the focal length of a compound microscope be adjusted?

Yes, the focal length of a compound microscope can be adjusted by changing the position of the lenses. This is typically done by rotating a knob or using a focus adjustment mechanism on the microscope. Adjusting the focal length can help in achieving a clearer and more magnified image of the specimen.