Force on 60kg Parachutist Falling w/ 7kg Parachute

• Thread starter KiNGGeexD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Falling
In summary, a 60kg parachutist and her 7kg parachute fall at a constant 6m/s, resulting in a downward force of 588N on the woman. This force is equal to the upward force of the parachute, and the net force on the woman is zero. The mass of the parachute is irrelevant in this calculation.
KiNGGeexD
A 60kg parachutist and her 7kg parachute fall at a constant 6m/s

Find the force on the woman due to chute?

My attempt:

All I can gather from this is that the chute and her are not accelerating, so get are at terminal velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
She reached the terminal velocity (that's the reason the velocity is constant), right.

Hint:
Which forces act on her?

What does it mean that she is not accelerating?

Because she ain't accelerating the force of her downwards is equal to the force upwards because of the parachute right?

Is mg still acting on her?

KiNGGeexD said:
Because she ain't accelerating the force of her downwards is equal to the force upwards because of the parachute right?
Right.
Is mg still acting on her?
As long as she is still on earth... sure.

Ok so I've got mg acting downwards and mg for the parachute? And total mg am I on the right track?

KiNGGeexD said:
Ok so I've got mg acting downwards and mg for the parachute? And total mg am I on the right track?

Ask these questions for yourself:
1-What is the downward force?
2-If downward force is equal to upward force,what is the upward force?
(If downward force is equal to upward force,then the net(total) force is zero(Because of forces cancelling out)

Mg-mg=0

Where m is the mass of the parachute?

KiNGGeexD said:
Mg-mg=0

Where m is the mass of the parachute?
Er.. no.
Just concentrate of the forces on the person. The 'chute is just something up there somewhere applying a force, you don't care what it is, so its mass is irrelevant.

Ah ok! So the answer is 588N?

KiNGGeexD said:
Ah ok! So the answer is 588N?

Yes.

1. How does the force on a 60kg parachutist compare to the force on a 60kg non-parachutist?

The force on a 60kg parachutist is significantly lower than the force on a 60kg non-parachutist. This is because the parachute creates drag, which slows down the parachutist's fall and reduces the force of impact.

2. Does the size or type of parachute affect the force on the parachutist?

Yes, the size and type of parachute can greatly affect the force experienced by the parachutist. A larger parachute will create more drag and slow down the fall more, resulting in a lower force on the parachutist. Additionally, different types of parachutes (e.g. round vs. square) will also have different effects on the force experienced by the parachutist.

3. What other factors besides the parachute affect the force on the parachutist?

The force on the parachutist is also affected by the air resistance, the weight of the parachute, and the air density. Higher air resistance or a heavier parachute will result in a lower force on the parachutist, while higher air density will increase the force.

4. Is there a maximum force that the parachutist can experience while falling with a parachute?

Yes, there is a maximum force that the parachutist can experience while falling with a parachute. This is known as the terminal velocity, which is the maximum speed that an object can reach while falling due to the balance between gravitational force and air resistance. Once the parachutist reaches terminal velocity, the force on them will remain constant.

5. How does the force on the parachutist change as they descend to the ground?

As the parachutist descends to the ground, the force on them decreases. This is because the parachute continues to slow down their fall, resulting in a lower force of impact upon landing. As the distance between the parachutist and the ground decreases, the force on them will decrease due to the increasing air resistance and the reduction of potential energy.