Finding Forces in Truss Members Using Method of Sections

In summary, the conversation includes a request to determine the forces in members BC and CG, clarification on the positive and negative values for tension and compression, and a discussion of a possible error in the calculations due to an incorrect angle. The expert advises that the structure is not loaded symmetrically, which may result in incorrect reactions.
J-dizzal

Homework Statement

Determine the forces in members BC and CG. The forces are positive if in tension, negative if in compression.
20150715_190800_zpseupbftpt.jpg

Homework Equations

ΣF=0
ΣM=0

The Attempt at a Solution

20150715_190729_zpszsi20agz.jpg

im not sure what I am doing wrong here, i think it might be my angle θ?
I got 3.66N tension as my answer but its wrong, i just started trusses and not sure what I am doing wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Im working on a similar problem and am making the same mistake, maybe CH needs to be found? but i think its a zero force member.

J-dizzal said:

Homework Statement

Determine the forces in members BC and CG. The forces are positive if in tension, negative if in compression.

Homework Equations

ΣF=0
ΣM=0

The Attempt at a Solution

20150715_190729_zpszsi20agz.jpg

im not sure what I am doing wrong here, i think it might be my angle θ?
I got 3.66N tension as my answer but its wrong, i just started trusses and not sure what I am doing wrong.
Your calculations appear to state that Ay = Fy = 14 (kN?)

The structure is not loaded symmetrically, so these reactions are incorrect.

Likes J-dizzal
SteamKing said:
Your calculations appear to state that Ay = Fy = 14 (kN?)

The structure is not loaded symmetrically, so these reactions are incorrect.
thank you sir.

1. What is the method of sections in truss analysis?

The method of sections is a technique used in structural analysis to determine the internal forces and reactions of a truss by isolating a specific section of the truss and analyzing it as a free body.

2. When is the method of sections used?

The method of sections is used when only a small portion of the truss needs to be analyzed, rather than the entire structure. It is also used when the reactions at supports are not known, and when the truss contains more than three unknown forces.

3. How do you determine the internal forces using the method of sections?

The internal forces (tension or compression) of a truss member can be determined using the equilibrium equations of forces and moments. By isolating a section of the truss and considering all the external and internal forces acting on it, the unknown forces can be solved for.

4. What are the limitations of the method of sections?

The method of sections is only applicable to truss structures that are statically determinate, meaning that the reactions and internal forces can be determined using equations of equilibrium. It also assumes that the truss is in a state of static equilibrium and that all the members are connected by ideal pins or hinges.

5. Are there any tips for using the method of sections effectively?

It is important to carefully select the section of the truss to be analyzed, as the results will only be accurate if the section is isolated properly. It is also helpful to use a scale drawing and label all the known and unknown forces to keep track of the equations used. Additionally, it is recommended to check the results by analyzing a different section of the truss to ensure accuracy.