What do the numbers in the method of joints analysis for trusses represent?

In summary: It could mean a few things. First, it could mean that you missed a force somewhere in the diagram. Second, it could mean that the direction of the force you assumed for Force AC is wrong. (Again, the minus sign means you assumed the wrong direction.) Third, it could mean that the direction of the force you assumed for Force BC is wrong. (Again, the minus sign means you assumed the wrong direction.) But in this case, I’d say it is probably just a mistake in the calculation.Oh the darn minus sign is always cause for confusion, so it’s perhaps not as easy as I mentioned.
tomtomtom1
TL;DR Summary
Trusses - Method Of Joints
Hello all

I am trying to analyse a truss using the method of joint process i.e I am trying to determine whether each member is in tension or compression.

I have the following truss that I want to analyse using the method of sections.
aone.JPG

Just focusing on joint A, I have created a FDB and calculated all the forces:-

fbddddd.JPG

I know this is correct but I wanted to ask about the values of AB (183.165) & AC (194.921) - would I be correct in saying that the member AB is in compression and the compressive force through that member is 183.165kN, similarly would I be correct in saying that the member AC is in tension and the tensile forces through the member is 194.921kN?

I am trying to understand what the numbers mean?

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes that is correct. With a correct free body diagram it is easy to determine whether a member is in compression or tension. Compression forces in members are pushing forces and always act toward the joint. Tension forces in members are pulling forces and always act away from the joint. When using the method of sections, compression forces act toward the member and tension forces pull away from the member.
You asked what the numbers mean? These are the forces in the members used for member design. Compression forces subject members to buckling and are often more critical for equal size members .

PhanthomJay said:
Yes that is correct. With a correct free body diagram it is easy to determine whether a member is in compression or tension. Compression forces in members are pushing forces and always act toward the joint. Tension forces in members are pulling forces and always act away from the joint. When using the method of sections, compression forces act toward the member and tension forces pull away from the member.
You asked what the numbers mean? These are the forces in the members used for member design. Compression forces subject members to buckling and are often more critical for equal size members .

Phanthomjay

Thanks for clearing up my doubt.

I have the same question shown below:-

question 1.JPG
Focusing on just joints A & C the calculations are :-

q2222.JPG

I was wondering if you knew why 194.93 was Negative I am really struggling to figure out why it would be a negative value when checking for compression/tension at joint C when at Joint A it was a Postive Tension?

Can you help?

Thanks

Oh the darn minus sign is always cause for confusion, so it’s perhaps not as easy as I mentioned.
First off, look at joint A. In your first post, you chose the correct direction of the forces. But in your second post, at joint A, you assumed the wrong direction for Force AB, and got a negative number for force AB. That negative number means you assumed the wrong direction for ForceAB, that is, it actually acts towards the joint as in your first post, not away from the joint which you assumed. The negative sign here means you assumed that he wrong direction for that force. I does not mean the force is a compression force. So immediately change your free body diagram to show F-AB acting toward the joint to the left, making it a compressive force because it acts toward the joint.
Now move to joint C. You know that Force AC is a tension force. So at Joint C it must pull away from the joint, as you have shown. Then when you sum forces in the x direction, it is a minus number for the x component because it acts left, but that doesn’t stop it from being a tension force. Note that you got a negative number for force BC. What does that mean? Tough question.

1. What is the Method of Joints in truss analysis?

The Method of Joints is a technique used in structural engineering to analyze the forces within a truss. It involves breaking down the truss into individual joints and using the principles of equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces at each joint.

2. How do I determine the reactions at the supports using the Method of Joints?

To determine the reactions at the supports, you must first isolate the truss and draw a free body diagram. Then, apply the equations of equilibrium (sum of forces and moments) to solve for the unknown reactions at each support.

3. Can the Method of Joints be used for both simple and complex truss structures?

Yes, the Method of Joints can be used for both simple and complex truss structures. However, it is more commonly used for simple trusses with a small number of joints and members.

4. What are the limitations of the Method of Joints?

The Method of Joints assumes that all joints are pinned and that the members are connected without friction. It also cannot account for the effects of bending or shear forces within the members.

5. Are there any alternative methods for analyzing truss structures?

Yes, there are other methods for analyzing truss structures such as the Method of Sections and the Method of Tensions. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of trusses or for determining specific forces within the structure.