Finding frequency of an AC current sin wave?

In summary, to find the frequency of an AC current given by I= 475 sin( 9.43 t) with I in milliamperes and t in milliseconds, the constant 9.43 must be associated with the units: radians/millisecond. Converting 9.43 to 9430 rad/s, the frequency is then calculated to be 1500 Hz.
jlmccart03

Homework Statement

An AC current is given by I= 475 sin( 9.43 t), with I in milliamperes and t in milliseconds. Find the frequency.

Homework Equations

w = 2pi*f

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 9.43/2pi which is 1.5 Hz, but that is wrong. I honestly have no idea what to do to find the Hz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pay close attention to the units specified :wink:

gneill said:
Pay close attention to the units specified :wink:
Would I convert milliamperes to amperes and get 0.001501 instead of 1.5? Also the only units are millamperes and frequency is in Hertz which is cycles per second.

The current units are inconsequential. They don't affect frequency. However:

jlmccart03 said:
... and t in milliseconds.

is important.

gneill said:
The current units are inconsequential. They don't affect frequency. However:
is important.
The 9.23t is in milliseconds correct? Hertz is in seconds though so instead of 9.23 it would be 0.00923 s correct? So I would get 0.00923/2pi = 0.001501 Hz.

jlmccart03 said:
The 9.23t is in milliseconds correct? Hertz is in seconds though so instead of 9.23 it would be 0.00923 s correct? So I would get 0.00923/2pi = 0.001501 Hz.
No, you've gone the wrong way with the scaling.

Think of it this way: If t is in milliseconds, then after 1 millisecond the argument of the sine function should give 9.43 radians. That is, the constant 9.43 is associated with the units: radians/millisecond.

gneill said:
No, you've gone the wrong way with the scaling.

Think of it this way: If t is in milliseconds, then after 1 millisecond the argument of the sine function should give 9.43 radians. That is, the constant 9.43 is associated with the units: radians/millisecond.
OHHHHHH so instead it is 9430 rad/s. Ok so the answer should be 1500 Hz. Thanks!

Likes gneill

1. What is the formula for finding the frequency of an AC current sin wave?

The formula for finding the frequency of an AC current sin wave is f = 1/T, where f is the frequency in hertz (Hz) and T is the period in seconds (s).

2. How do I measure the frequency of an AC current sin wave?

The frequency of an AC current sin wave can be measured using an oscilloscope, which displays the voltage over time. The number of cycles displayed in one second is equivalent to the frequency of the wave.

3. Can I use a multimeter to measure the frequency of an AC current sin wave?

Yes, some multimeters have the capability to measure frequency. However, they may not be as accurate as using an oscilloscope.

4. What is the difference between frequency and amplitude in an AC current sin wave?

The frequency of an AC current sin wave refers to the number of cycles per second, while the amplitude refers to the maximum value of the wave. In other words, frequency determines how often the wave repeats, while amplitude determines the strength or intensity of the wave.

5. How does the frequency of an AC current sin wave affect its behavior?

The frequency of an AC current sin wave affects its behavior in terms of energy transfer and impedance. Higher frequencies have a greater energy transfer and lower impedance, while lower frequencies have a lower energy transfer and higher impedance.