Frequency in an AC circuit given capacitance, voltage, and current

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding frequency using a combination of formulas and the confusion caused by an incorrect equation given. The correct answer is eventually determined and the conversation concludes on a positive note.
adangerousdriver
Homework Statement
If the voltage amplitude across an 8.50-nF capacitor is equal to 12.0 V when the current amplitude through it is 3.33 mA, the frequency is closest to:

5.20 MHz
32.6 Hz
5.2 kHz
32.6 kHz
32.6 MHz
Relevant Equations
Capacitor Reactance: Xc = 1/(ωC)
Ohm's Law: V = IXc = I/(ωC)
Frequency: f = 2πω
By combining the formula for the reactance of a capacitor with Ohm's Law for a capacitor, I can solve for angular frequency, and divide by 2π to find frequency.
The resulting equation is:

f = I/(2π VC)

Using the given values, I end up with 5.2 kHz, instead of the correct answer of 5.2 MHz. I cannot find out where I am making a mistake that throws off my order of magnitude.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer of 5.2 kHz.

Likes DaveE and gneill
Hi adangerousdriver,

Your calculations look correct to me. I get the same result for the given information.

Perhaps there's an error in the problem statement or the answer key. I think you should raise the question with your professor or TA?

WOW! Ok, what the heck am I doing wrong? I’ve looked this over more than a few times, and it seems completely obvious to me that the 2 pi belongs in the numerator. However, that results in not matching ANY of the answers. I feel like I’m in an algebra twilight zone.

Oh, I see. The equation relating frequency to angular frequency is wrong. The 2 pi should be on the other side

Cutter Ketch said:
I feel like I’m in an algebra twilight zone.
Oh, I've definitely been there more than a few times! :rolleyes:

It's all good now?

gneill said:
Oh, I've definitely been there more than a few times! :rolleyes:

It's all good now?
Yep. Thanks.

Likes gneill

What is the formula for calculating frequency in an AC circuit given capacitance, voltage, and current?

The formula for calculating frequency in an AC circuit is:
f = 1 / (2π * √(LC))
where f is the frequency in Hertz, L is the inductance in Henrys, and C is the capacitance in Farads.

How does capacitance affect the frequency in an AC circuit?

In an AC circuit, capacitance is inversely proportional to the frequency. This means that as the capacitance increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa.

What happens to the frequency in an AC circuit if the voltage increases?

The frequency in an AC circuit remains constant regardless of changes in voltage. However, an increase in voltage may affect the amplitude of the AC signal.

Can frequency in an AC circuit be calculated without knowing the capacitance, voltage, and current?

No, frequency in an AC circuit cannot be calculated without knowing at least two of the three variables: capacitance, voltage, and current. This is because frequency is dependent on these variables and cannot be determined with just one value.

What is the significance of frequency in an AC circuit?

Frequency is a crucial factor in AC circuits as it determines the rate at which the current alternates direction. It also affects the behavior of the circuit, such as the reactance of the components and the power factor.