Finding I3: Resistance Ratio Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it should be I3 = (R2+R4)/(R2+R4+R3) I or I3 = R2/(R2+R3) I for finding I3 using current divider. It is concluded that the second choice is correct because R2 is not in series with R4. Additionally, it is mentioned that setting R3 equal to R2 gives the expected answer of I3 = I/2.
hquang001
Homework Statement
In the figure below, how can i apply current divider to find I3 ?
Relevant Equations
[tex] Ix = \frac{Rt}{Rt +Rx} I [/tex]
163404105_973609490135196_3780337236855681454_n.jpg

Should it be [tex] I3 = \frac{(R2+R4)}{(R2+R4) +R3} I [/tex]
or [tex] I3 = \frac{R2}{R2 +R3} I [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
hquang001 said:
Homework Statement:: In the figure below, how can i apply current divider to find I3 ?
Relevant Equations:: [tex] Ix = \frac{Rt}{Rt +Rx} I [/tex]

View attachment 280158
Should it be [tex] I3 = \frac{(R2+R4)}{(R2+R4) +R3} I [/tex]
or [tex] I3 = \frac{R2}{R2 +R3} I [/tex]
Ok i know the answer,
in this case R2 is not in series with R4 so the second answer is correct

If you set ##R_3=R_2## which of the two choices gives you the expected answer ##I_3=\dfrac{I}{2}##?

Likes hquang001
kuruman said:
If you set ##R_3=R_2## which of the two choices gives you the expected answer ##I_3=\dfrac{I}{2}##?
The second one

Right.

1. What is I3 and why is it important in resistance ratio calculation?

I3 refers to the third current in a three-wire system, which is used to calculate the resistance ratio between the other two currents. This ratio is important in determining the health and efficiency of electrical circuits.

2. How do you measure I3 in a circuit?

I3 can be measured using a clamp meter, which is a specialized tool that can measure current without interrupting the circuit. The clamp meter is placed around one of the three wires in the circuit to measure the current.

3. What is the formula for calculating resistance ratio using I3?

The formula for calculating resistance ratio using I3 is Rratio = (I1 + I2) / I3, where I1 and I2 are the other two currents in the circuit. This formula can be used for both AC and DC circuits.

4. How can resistance ratio calculations help in troubleshooting electrical circuits?

Resistance ratio calculations can help identify any imbalances or faults in the circuit. If the resistance ratio is significantly different from the expected value, it can indicate a problem with the circuit, such as a faulty component or a loose connection.

5. Are there any limitations to using I3 in resistance ratio calculations?

Yes, there are some limitations to using I3 in resistance ratio calculations. The accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the clamp meter used to measure I3. Additionally, this method only works for three-wire circuits and cannot be applied to circuits with more or less wires.