Finding inverse from matrix equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an explicit formula for the inverse of a square matrix that satisfies a certain condition. The attempted solution involves manipulating the given equation and using the concept of a right inverse. The person also questions whether a left inverse needs to be shown and suggests expanding understanding by proving a related theorem.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Suppose that a square matrix ##A## satisfies ##(A - I)^2 = 0##. Find an explicit formula for ##A^{-1}## in terms of ##A##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From manipulation we find that ##A^2 - 2A + I = 0## and then ##A(2I - A) = I##. This shows that if we right-multiply ##A## by ##2I - A##, we get the identity matrix. However, to show that ##2I - A## is an inverse, don't we also have to show that we can left-multiply ##A## by ##2I - A## such that ##(2I - A)A = I##? I don't see how we can do that...

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that showing that ##(2I - A)A = A(2I - A)## should be too difficult.

Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that a square matrix ##A## satisfies ##(A - I)^2 = 0##. Find an explicit formula for ##A^{-1}## in terms of ##A##

Homework Equations

From manipulation we find that ##A^2 - 2A + I = 0## and then ##A(2I - A) = I##. This shows that if we right-multiply ##A## by ##2I - A##, we get the identity matrix. However, to show that ##2I - A## is an inverse, don't we also have to show that we can left-multiply ##A## by ##2I - A## such that ##(2I - A)A = I##?
Yes.
I don't see how we can do that...
Multiply it.

Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

From manipulation we find that ##A^2 - 2A + I = 0## and then ##A(2I - A) = I##. This shows that if we right-multiply ##A## by ##2I - A##, we get the identity matrix. However, to show that ##2I - A## is an inverse, don't we also have to show that we can left-multiply ##A## by ##2I - A## such that ##(2I - A)A = I##? I don't see how we can do that...

There is a standard theorem which states that if a square matrix ##A## has a right (left) inverse ##B##, then it also has a left (right) inverse, and that is equal to ##B## as well. You should expand your understanding by trying to prove that theorem.

Likes DrClaude

1. What is an inverse matrix?

An inverse matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, gives the identity matrix. In other words, an inverse matrix "undoes" the original matrix.

2. Why do we need to find the inverse of a matrix?

Finding the inverse of a matrix is useful in solving systems of linear equations, as well as in calculating determinants and solving various matrix operations.

3. How do you find the inverse of a matrix?

To find the inverse of a matrix, you can use the Gauss-Jordan elimination method, or you can use the adjugate matrix method. Both methods involve manipulating the original matrix to get it into a specific form, and then performing calculations to find the inverse.

4. Can every matrix have an inverse?

No, not every matrix has an inverse. A matrix must be square (same number of rows and columns) and have a non-zero determinant in order to have an inverse.

5. Is the inverse of a matrix unique?

Yes, the inverse of a matrix is unique. This means that for every square matrix, there is only one inverse matrix that exists.