Finding Inverse Trig Functions: Converting Between Point and Radian Measures

In summary, the conversation was about finding the values of cot^-1(-sqrt(3)) and csc(arccos(3/5)). The solution to both problems was provided, along with a simple method for finding cot^-1(-sqrt(3)). The concept of "point measure" was also discussed and clarified.
rmiller70015

Homework Statement

Cot^-1(-sqrt(3)) and CSC(arccos(3/5)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this looks like a trig problem, but I'm in calc, just wasn't sure where to put this.

I have the solution to both problems, my biggest issue here is that I do not know of or remember how to get the radian measure from the point measure and vice versa. Any methods to figuring this out (thats not trial and error) would be helpful. I don't have a problem with the sin and cos functions because the graphs are so simple, bit its mostly the inverse functions with their crazy graphs that throw me off.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you mean by "point measure"! I only know "degree", "radian", and "grad" measures for angles and the answer to the first question could be in any of those and the answer to the second does not depend on the angle measure.

The simplest way to find [itex]cot^{-1}(-\sqrt{3})[/itex] is to recall that cotangent is "near side divided by opposite side" so we can imagine this as a right triangle with one leg of "length" [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] and the other of length 1. The hypotenuse then has length [itex]\sqrt{3+ 1}= 2[/itex] so this right triangle one leg of length 1 and hypotenuse of length 2. That is, the sine is 1/2. Do you know an angle that has sine equal to 1/2? (Or, if you "flip" the right triangle over the side of length [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] so get a triangle (formed by the two right triangles) which has all three sides of length 2. What is the measure of the angles in this triangle?

To find csc(arcos(3/5)), imagine a triangle with "near side" of length 3 and "hypotenuse" of length 5. The other leg, the "opposite side" has length [itex]\sqrt{5^2- 3^2}= 4[/itex] so the sine is 4/5 and the cosecant is 5/4.

Thank you, that was very helpful.

What are the inverses of trig functions?

The inverses of trigonometric functions are also known as arc functions. They are used to solve for the angle measure when given the value of the trigonometric ratio. The six main inverse trig functions are arcsine, arccosine, arctangent, arcsecant, arccosecant, and arccotangent.

How do you find the inverses of trig functions?

To find the inverse of a trigonometric function, you can use the inverse trig function button on a calculator or use the inverse trig identities to solve algebraically. For example, the inverse of sine is arcsine, so if you want to find the inverse of sin(0.5), you can use the arcsin(0.5) button on a calculator or solve for x in the equation sin(x) = 0.5.

What is the domain and range of inverse trig functions?

The domain of inverse trig functions is restricted based on the range of the original trig function. For example, the domain of arcsine is [-1,1], as the range of sine is [-1,1]. The range of inverse trig functions is the domain of the original trig function. For example, the range of arcsine is [-π/2, π/2] as the domain of sine is [-π/2, π/2].

What are the properties of inverse trig functions?

The properties of inverse trig functions include the fact that they are one-to-one functions, meaning that each input has a unique output. They also have a restricted domain and range, as mentioned before. Additionally, the derivatives of inverse trig functions can be derived using the chain rule.

How are inverse trig functions used in real life?

Inverse trig functions are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. They are used to calculate angles and distances in right triangles, as well as in the study of periodic phenomena such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves. They are also used in navigation and satellite communication systems.