Integration of inverse trig functions

In summary, the problem is to integrate \frac{x+5}{\sqrt{9-(x-3)^2}}dx in Calculus II. The solution involves breaking the integral into two separate integrals and using the fact that the second term integrates easily to an arcsin. The first term is found using the completion of the du, which results in the expression -\sqrt{6x-x^2}+8arcsin(\frac{x-3}{3})+c. After some hesitation, the correct answer is confirmed by differentiating it.
QuantumCurt
Education Advisor
This is for Calculus II. I've found most of the integrations on inverse trig functions to be pretty simple, but for some reason this one is throwing me off.

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\frac{x+5}{\sqrt{9-(x-3)^2}}dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by breaking the integral up into two separate integrals be rewriting the numerator-

[tex]\int\frac{x-3}{\sqrt{9-(x-3)^2}}dx+\int\frac{8}{\sqrt{9-(x-3)^2}}dx[/tex]

The second term integrates easily to an arcsin-

[tex]\int\frac{x-3}{\sqrt{9-(x-3)^2}}dx+8arcsin(\frac{x-3}{3})+c[/tex]

I feel like I'm missing something on the first term though. I'm trying to integrate it by completing the du, and it seems wrong. I'm using the inside of the radical as my u.

[tex]u=9-(x-3)^2[/tex]
[tex]du=-2(x-3)[/tex]

Then I supplied a -1/2 to offset the constant-

[tex]\frac{-1}{2}\int\frac{-2(x-3)}{\sqrt{9-(x-3)^2}}dx+8arcsin(\frac{x-3}{3})+c[/tex]

I tried integrating the first term to a natural logarithm at first, which was incorrect. I can't integrate it to an arcsin because of the variable in the numerator. Can I move the denominator to the top and rewrite it as a -1/2 power?

[tex]\frac{-1}{2}\int[(9-(x-3)^2)]^{-1/2}[-2(x-3)dx]+8arcsin(\frac{x-3}{3})+c[/tex]

Giving me-

[tex]-\sqrt{9-(x-3)^2}+8arcsin(\frac{x-3}{3})+c[/tex]

[tex]-\sqrt{6x-x^2}+8arcsin(\frac{x-3}{3})+c[/tex]

Does that look right? For some reason it just doesn't seem right to me. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try differentiating your answer? (Looks right to me.)

Likes 1 person
QuantumCurt said:
This is for Calculus II. I've found most of the integrations on inverse trig functions to be pretty simple, but for some reason this one is throwing me off.

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\frac{x+5}{\sqrt{9-(x-3)^2}}dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by breaking the integral up into two separate integrals be rewriting the numerator-

[tex]\int\frac{x-3}{\sqrt{9-(x-3)^2}}dx+\int\frac{8}{\sqrt{9-(x-3)^2}}dx[/tex]

The second term integrates easily to an arcsin-

[tex]\int\frac{x-3}{\sqrt{9-(x-3)^2}}dx+8arcsin(\frac{x-3}{3})+c[/tex]

I feel like I'm missing something on the first term though. I'm trying to integrate it by completing the du, and it seems wrong. I'm using the inside of the radical as my u.

[tex]u=9-(x-3)^2[/tex]
[tex]du=-2(x-3)[/tex]

Then I supplied a -1/2 to offset the constant-

[tex]\frac{-1}{2}\int\frac{-2(x-3)}{\sqrt{9-(x-3)^2}}dx+8arcsin(\frac{x-3}{3})+c[/tex]

I tried integrating the first term to a natural logarithm at first, which was incorrect. I can't integrate it to an arcsin because of the variable in the numerator. Can I move the denominator to the top and rewrite it as a -1/2 power?

[tex]\frac{-1}{2}\int[(9-(x-3)^2)]^{-1/2}[-2(x-3)dx]+8arcsin(\frac{x-3}{3})+c[/tex]

Giving me-

[tex]-\sqrt{9-(x-3)^2}+8arcsin(\frac{x-3}{3})+c[/tex]

[tex]-\sqrt{6x-x^2}+8arcsin(\frac{x-3}{3})+c[/tex]

Does that look right? For some reason it just doesn't seem right to me. Any help would be much appreciated.

Yes, that looks right.

haruspex said:
Did you try differentiating your answer? (Looks right to me.)

I feel like smacking my head into the desk. I have no idea why I didn't think to do that.

I guess when you're studying for hours and hours straight, you sometimes forget to do the obvious...lol

I differentiated it, and it is indeed right. Thanks.

1. What are inverse trig functions?

Inverse trig functions are mathematical functions that are used to find the angle or side length of a right triangle when given other sides or angles. They are the inverse operations of trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. How are inverse trig functions integrated?

Integration of inverse trig functions involves using substitution and integration by parts techniques. These techniques involve replacing the inverse trig function with a variable, and then using algebraic manipulation and integration rules to solve the integral.

3. What is the most common inverse trig function used in integration?

The most commonly used inverse trig function in integration is the arctangent function, also known as inverse tangent. This is because it is the inverse of the tangent function, which is frequently used in calculus problems.

4. What are some common strategies for solving integrals involving inverse trig functions?

Some common strategies for solving integrals involving inverse trig functions include using trigonometric identities, using substitution, and using integration by parts. It is also helpful to recognize patterns and apply appropriate integration rules.

5. Can inverse trig functions be integrated using other methods besides substitution and integration by parts?

Yes, there are other methods for integrating inverse trig functions, such as using trigonometric identities and using partial fractions. However, substitution and integration by parts are the most commonly used methods for solving these types of integrals.