Finding Limit As X Approaches Infinite Of Square Root Function

In summary: If you want to apply L'Hôpital Rule for this problem, then you will need to have the expression in fractional form? How? Simply multiply the top and the bottom by the conjugate of √(x² + 3x) - √(x² + 2x), which is √(x² + 3x) + √(x² + 2x). That gives us:If you multiply by the conjugate over the conjugate , then simplify, and factor x (x2 under the radicals) from the radicals, you don't need L'Hôpital's rule .However:To use L'H
CallMeShady
Finding Limit As "X" Approaches Infinite Of Square Root Function

Homework Statement

2bb6kg.jpg

Homework Equations

None that I am aware of.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried to do to solve this problem was first, multiplying the function by its conjugate, and then simplifying the numerator which yielded "5x" divided by the original conjugate. Then I factored out "x-squared" from the denominator and after taking the square root of that, I got the absolute value of "x". Since the limit approaches positive infinity, the absolute value of "x" becomes just "x" by itself. This divided out the "x's" from the numerator and the denominators. Then I simply substituted positive infinity for "x's" that remained in the square roots in the denominators and got the answer of 5/2... which is apparently wrong. Can anyone help please?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hint 1: Factor out x2 without multiplying and dividing the conjugate.

CallMeShady said:

Homework Statement

2bb6kg.jpg

Homework Equations

None that I am aware of.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried to do to solve this problem was first, multiplying the function by its conjugate, and then simplifying the numerator which yielded "5x" divided by the original conjugate. Then I factored out "x-squared" from the denominator and after taking the square root of that, I got the absolute value of "x". Since the limit approaches positive infinity, the absolute value of "x" becomes just "x" by itself. This divided out the "x's" from the numerator and the denominators. Then I simply substituted positive infinity for "x's" that remained in the square roots in the denominators and got the answer of 5/2... which is apparently wrong. Can anyone help please?
Check your algebra!

What is (x2+3x)-(x2+2x) ?

It's not 5x !

Thank you Sammy, that was a silly mistake on my part.

Have you tried using ln and getting into a l'hopital's rule situation? I haven't tried it but it seems it could yield a result.

zapz said:
Have you tried using ln and getting into a l'hopital's rule situation? I haven't tried it but it seems it could yield a result.
zapz,

Try it & tell us.

(Of course it can work.) First change the expression to an appropriate form.

zapz said:

It's much like the other user just said.

SammyS said:
zapz,

(Of course it can work.) First change the expression to an appropriate form.

If you want to apply L'Hôpital Rule for this problem, then you will need to have the expression in fractional form? How? Simply multiply the top and the bottom by the conjugate of √(x² + 3x) - √(x² + 2x), which is √(x² + 3x) + √(x² + 2x). That gives us:

lim x→∞ (√(x² + 3x) - √(x² + 2x)) * (√(x² + 3x) + √(x² + 2x))/(√(x² + 3x) + √(x² + 2x))
= lim x→∞ (x² + 3x - (x² + 2x))/(√(x² + 3x) + √(x² + 2x))
= lim x→∞ (x² - x² + 3x - 2x)/(√(x² + 3x) + √(x² + 2x))
= lim x→∞ x/(√(x² + 3x) + √(x² + 2x))

If we let x = ∞, we obtain the indeterminate form, ∞/∞. For this case, we need to apply L'Hôpital Rule.

lim x→∞ d/dx [x]/(d/dx [(x² + 3x)^(½) + (x² + 2x)^(½)])
= lim x→∞ 1/(½ * (x² + 3x)^(½ - 1) * d/dx (x² + 3x) + ½ * (x² + 2x)^(½ - 1) * d/dx (x² + 2x))
= lim x→∞ 1/(½ * (x² + 3x)^(-½) * (2x + 3) + ½ * (x² + 2x)^(-½) * (2x + 2))
= lim x→∞ 1/((2x + 3)/(2√(x² + 3x)) + 2(x + 1)/(2√(x² + 2x))) [I factored out 2 out of 2x + 2]
= lim x→∞ 1/((2x + 3)/(2√(x² + 3x)) + (x + 1)/(√(x² + 2x)))

I believe you can take in from here. Find the limit of that function. Hint: This can be related to lim x→∞ Ax/(B√(x² + C)) = A/B.

NasuSama said:
It's much like the other user just said.

If you want to apply L'Hôpital Rule for this problem, then you will need to have the expression in fractional form? How? Simply multiply the top and the bottom by the conjugate of √(x² + 3x) - √(x² + 2x), which is √(x² + 3x) + √(x² + 2x). That gives us:
If you multiply by the conjugate over the conjugate , then simplify, and factor x (x2 under the radicals) from the radicals, you don't need L'Hôpital's rule .However:
To use L'Hôpital's rule, start with [BSourabh N][/B]'s suggestion in post#2.

[itex]\displaystyle \sqrt{x^2+3x}-\sqrt{x^3+2x}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =x\sqrt{1+\frac{3}{x}}-x\sqrt{1+\frac{2}{x}}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\frac{\sqrt{1+3/x}-\sqrt{1+2/x}}{1/x}[/itex]
This is of the form 0/0 as x → ∞ .

Apply L'Hôpital's rule to the limit of this expression.

Related to Finding Limit As X Approaches Infinite Of Square Root Function

1. What is the definition of a limit as x approaches infinity?

The limit as x approaches infinity is the value that a function approaches as the input (x) approaches infinity. It represents the behavior of a function as x gets larger and larger.

2. How do you find the limit as x approaches infinity of a square root function?

To find the limit as x approaches infinity of a square root function, you can use the property that the square root of a large number approaches the square root of the largest perfect square contained in that number. This means that the limit will be equal to the square root of the coefficient of the highest degree term in the function's numerator divided by the square root of the coefficient of the highest degree term in the function's denominator.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of the function as x approaches the limit value from one side (either the left or the right). A two-sided limit, on the other hand, takes into account the behavior of the function as x approaches the limit value from both the left and the right.

4. Can the limit as x approaches infinity of a square root function be negative?

Yes, the limit as x approaches infinity of a square root function can be negative if the coefficient of the highest degree term in the function's numerator is negative and the coefficient of the highest degree term in the function's denominator is positive.

5. How does the degree of a square root function affect its limit as x approaches infinity?

The degree of a square root function does not affect its limit as x approaches infinity. Only the coefficient of the highest degree term in the function's numerator and denominator will determine the value of the limit.