Finding Linear Acceleration of a Yo-Yo

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the linear acceleration of a yo-yo made of two uniform disks connected by a light axle and released from rest with a string wound around the axle. The equations used include torque, force, and conservation of energy. The solution involves solving for the tension in the string and using the correct value for the radius when substituting into equations. The correct answer for the linear acceleration is found to be 2g/(2+(R/b)^2).
kudoushinichi88

Homework Statement

A yo-yo is made from two uniform disks, each with mass m and radius R, connected by a light axle of radius b. A light, thin string is wound several times around the axle and then held stationary while the yo-yo is released from rest, dropping as the string unwinds. Find the linear acceleration of the yo-yo.

Homework Equations

[itex]
\tau=TR=I\alpha[/itex]

[itex]
F=ma[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\tau=TR=I\alpha[/itex]

[itex]Tb=2\left(\frac{1}{2}mR^2\right)\alpha[/itex]

since [itex]a_{tan}=r\alpha[/itex],substituted into the equation above and simplified,

[itex]
Tb=mRa[/itex] ...1

The yo-yo is accelerating downwards linearly, so

[itex]
2mg-T=2ma[/itex] ...2

Solving for T in eq.1 and substituting into eq.2,

[itex]
2mg-\frac{mRa}{b}=2ma[/itex]

Solving for a, I got

[itex]
a=\frac{2g}{2+R/b}[/itex]

which is not the right answer... the correct answer is
[itex]
a=\frac{2g}{2+(R/b)^2}[/itex]

what did I do wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kudoushinichi88! :smile:

(I haven't actually checked your equations, but …)

wouldn't it be easier to use conservation of energy? :wink:

String unwinds around the cylinder of radius b. So a(tan) = b

kudoushinichi88 said:
[itex]Tb=2\left(\frac{1}{2}mR^2\right)\alpha[/itex]

since [itex]a_{tan}=r\alpha[/itex],substituted into the equation above and simplified,

[itex]
Tb=mRa[/itex] ...1

You substituted the wrong value for r. If the yoyo unwinds with angular speed [tex]\omega[/tex]
the vertical speed of the yoyo is [tex]b \omega[/tex] and not [tex]R \omega[/tex]

ah... so that's why!
Thank you all! This has also helped me to find the angular acceleration and tension in the string...

Related to Finding Linear Acceleration of a Yo-Yo

1. What is the definition of linear acceleration?

Linear acceleration is the rate of change of velocity in a straight line. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is linear acceleration different from angular acceleration?

Linear acceleration refers to the change in velocity in a straight line, while angular acceleration refers to the change in rotational velocity. In the case of a yo-yo, linear acceleration would refer to the change in the yo-yo's speed as it moves up and down, while angular acceleration would refer to the change in its rotational speed as it spins.

3. What factors affect the linear acceleration of a yo-yo?

The linear acceleration of a yo-yo is affected by the force applied to it, the mass of the yo-yo, and the friction between the yo-yo and the string. The length of the string and the angle at which the string is pulled also play a role.

4. How is the linear acceleration of a yo-yo calculated?

The linear acceleration of a yo-yo can be calculated using the formula a = (v2 - v1)/t, where a is the acceleration, v2 is the final velocity, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time taken.

5. How can the linear acceleration of a yo-yo be measured?

The linear acceleration of a yo-yo can be measured using a variety of methods, such as using a high-speed camera to record its movement and then analyzing the footage to calculate its acceleration. Another method is using sensors attached to the yo-yo or the string to measure its speed and acceleration. Additionally, mathematical calculations can be used to estimate the acceleration based on the force and mass of the yo-yo.