Finding Maximum Height of Two Simultaneously Launched Balls

In summary: I am just trying to find the equation for hmax.In summary, this problem has been giving me problems for the past two days and I can't figure it out :( please help. this is my first ever physics class.
EHogeberg
This problem has been giving me problems for the past two days and I can't figure it out :( please help. this is my first ever physics class.

Homework Statement

A rubber ball is shot straight up from the ground with speed v_0. Simultaneously, a second rubber ball at height h directly above the first ball is dropped from rest.

Known:
V_0 and Height of origional ball drop
y_coll= h- ((gh^2)/(2v_0)^2)
find:
h_max

Homework Equations

Vx= Vxi+ax (tf-ti)
Xf=Xi + Vxi + 1/2 ax (tf-ti)^2
Vxf^2= Vxi^2+ 2ax (Xf-Xi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got to the point where I found what I thought was h_max and got

hmax= (V_0^2/g)- 1/2*V_0^2

the website I am working on told me I am missing a term but I can't figure out what I am missing. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is, what is the question? You didn't state what it is you're trying to find!

how to find h_max

EHogeberg said:
how to find h_max

Yes, but what is h_max supposed to represent?

the maximum value of h for which a collision occurs before the first ball falls back to the ground?

Last edited:
EHogeberg said:
the maximum value of h for which a collision occurs before the first ball falls back to the ground?
I would have never guessed that.

If a ball is shot vertically upward, with initial velocity, v0, how long does it take the ball to return to its initial location?

I know this book and website combination is not the most helpful thing in the world. Whaat I have done so far is pluged in Hmax for the Xf of the second kinematic equation and when I solved it I ended up getting v_0^2/g-1/2 v_o^2 which got me to where it said I was close but I was either missing a term or it was incorrect and I can't figure out what's wrong so I guess my question should be...what am I doing wrong

SammyS said:
If a ball is shot vertically upward, with initial velocity, v0, how long does it take the ball to return to its initial location?

sorry I didnt see that question...I am not sure the only thing I can think of is time final-time initial but that wouldn't help me. I really don't knowfrom what I can think of it would equal the velocity over the gravity

EHogeberg said:
sorry I didnt see that question...I am not sure the only thing I can think of is time final-time initial but that wouldn't help me. I really don't know

from what I can think of it would equal the velocity over the gravity
If it wouldn't help, I wouldn't have asked it. It will definitely help to work that out.

what I meant to say is my answer wasnt going to help me sorry for the unclarity

I finnaly figured it out...thank you guys for the guidence

Good. The collision should occur just before the first rubber gets back to ground level.

yeah that's what I got

1. What are the kinematic equations for 2 balls?

The kinematic equations for 2 balls involve the equations of motion for two objects moving in the same direction with constant acceleration. These equations include the equations for position, velocity, and acceleration for each object separately, as well as the equation for their relative motion.

2. How do you solve kinematic equations for 2 balls?

To solve kinematic equations for 2 balls, you need to first identify the known and unknown variables for each object. Then, you can plug these values into the corresponding equations and solve for the unknown variable. It is important to use the correct equation for each variable, as well as pay attention to the units of measurement being used.

3. What is the difference between the kinematic equations for 2 balls and 1 ball?

The main difference between the kinematic equations for 2 balls and 1 ball is that the equations for 2 balls involve the relative motion between the two objects. This means that the equations for position, velocity, and acceleration will include the distance between the two objects, as well as their individual positions, velocities, and accelerations.

4. Can the kinematic equations for 2 balls be used for objects moving in different directions?

No, the kinematic equations for 2 balls are specifically designed for objects moving in the same direction with constant acceleration. If the objects are moving in different directions, or have varying accelerations, different equations or methods would need to be used.

5. How are the kinematic equations for 2 balls derived?

The kinematic equations for 2 balls are derived from the basic equations of motion, which describe the relationships between position, velocity, acceleration, and time for a single object. By considering the relative motion between two objects, these equations can be modified to account for the motion of both objects simultaneously.