Finding minterms from Multiplexer

• Thread starter Blurpeys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiplexer
In summary, to find the minterms from a multiplexer, you can use Karnaugh maps or Boolean algebra. A minterm in a multiplexer is a combination of inputs that results in a specific output, and a multiplexer can have 2^n minterms. It is important to find the minterms in a multiplexer because it allows for simplification of the Boolean expression and leads to a more efficient design.
Blurpeys
Homework Statement
Determine the minterm list for Z(A,B,C,D) shown below. Assume the following values for the inputs: I(0)=0, I(1)=1, I(2)=D, I(3)=1⊕D, I(4)=0⊕D, I(5)=D⊕D, I(6)=1⊕0, I(7)=1⊕1. Also, assume that S(1) is the most significant select line for the 1-of-4 Mux.
Relevant Equations
N/A
I(0)=0, so 0 and 1 are not minterms.
I(1)=1, so 2 and 3 are minterms.
I(2)=D, so 5 is a minterm but 4 is not a minterm.
I(3) not sure
I(4) not sure
I(5) not sure
I(6)=1⊕0=1, so 12 and 13 are also minterms.
I(7)=1⊕1=0, so 14 and 15 are not minterms.

I don't know how to deal with the rest of them, I am not even sure if the one I mentioned are correct.

Attachments

• 2022-03-14_17-50.png
    2022-03-14_17-50.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 82
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by evaluating all the 8 input terms;
These three XOR terms could generate; 0, 1, D, or NOT(D)
I(3)=1⊕D ;
I(4)=0⊕D ;
I(5)=D⊕D ;

1. What is a multiplexer?

A multiplexer, also known as a "MUX", is a digital circuit that selects one of several input signals and forwards it to a single output line. It is commonly used in digital systems to switch between multiple input signals and send the selected signal to the output.

2. How do you find minterms from a multiplexer?

To find minterms from a multiplexer, you need to first create a truth table with all possible combinations of inputs. Then, for each combination where the output is 1, write down the corresponding minterm using the inputs as variables. These minterms represent the terms that the multiplexer will output a 1 for.

3. Why is finding minterms important in multiplexer design?

Finding minterms is important in multiplexer design because it allows us to understand the behavior of the multiplexer and determine which input combinations will result in a 1 output. This information is crucial in designing and optimizing the functionality of the multiplexer in a digital system.

4. Can a multiplexer have more than one minterm?

Yes, a multiplexer can have more than one minterm. In fact, the number of minterms in a multiplexer is equal to 2^n, where n is the number of input lines. This means that as the number of input lines increases, the number of minterms also increases.

5. How is the number of minterms related to the number of input lines in a multiplexer?

The number of minterms in a multiplexer is equal to 2^n, where n is the number of input lines. This means that as the number of input lines increases, the number of minterms also increases. For example, a 4-input multiplexer will have 16 minterms, while an 8-input multiplexer will have 256 minterms.