Finding n in Hydrogen Atom Excitation with Bohr Model

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Rydberg equation to determine the initial and final states of a hydrogen atom in an excited state that has absorbed a photon with a wavelength of 410 nm. It is determined that there is no direct way to find the values of the two unknown n variables, so guessing is necessary to find a good match.
leroyjenkens

Homework Statement

A hydrogen atom in an excited state absorbs a photon of wavelength 410 nm. What were the initial and final states of the hydrogen atom.

Homework Equations

Rydberg equation:
[tex]\frac{1}{λ}=R_∞(\frac{1}{n{_l}{^2}}-\frac{1}{n{_u}{^2}})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Plugging that wavelength into the equation, I still have two unknowns; the lower n and the upper n. Would finding the frequency help? I don't see any equations I could use that would help me find one of those n's.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
leroyjenkens said:

Homework Statement

A hydrogen atom in an excited state absorbs a photon of wavelength 410 nm. What were the initial and final states of the hydrogen atom.

Homework Equations

Rydberg equation:
[tex]\frac{1}{λ}=R_∞(\frac{1}{n{_l}{^2}}-\frac{1}{n{_u}{^2}})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Plugging that wavelength into the equation, I still have two unknowns; the lower n and the upper n. Would finding the frequency help? I don't see any equations I could use that would help me find one of those n's.

Thanks

No, you can't find one of those n's. You'll have to guess until you find a good match. Try n1=1 first, figure out why that can't work. Then try n1=2. Then you should be able to find pretty good value of n2 just by guessing. I don't know any other way to play this game.

Dick said:
No, you can't find one of those n's. You'll have to guess until you find a good match. Try n1=1 first, figure out why that can't work. Then try n1=2. Then you should be able to find pretty good value of n2 just by guessing. I don't know any other way to play this game.

Oh ok thanks. I thought about guessing, but thought that was a pretty inelegant way to do it, so I assumed there must have been another way. Guess not.

Thanks.

What is the Bohr model and how does it help find n?

The Bohr model is a simplified atomic model proposed by Niels Bohr in 1913. It helps determine the energy levels or shells of electrons in an atom, which are represented by the quantum number n.

What is the formula for calculating n in the Bohr model?

The formula for calculating n is n = 1, 2, 3, ... where n represents the energy level or shell of the electron. This formula is derived from the Bohr model's postulate that an electron can only occupy certain discrete energy levels.

How does the Bohr model differ from the modern atomic model?

The Bohr model is a simplified version of the modern atomic model, which takes into account the wave nature of electrons. The Bohr model assumes that electrons move in circular orbits around the nucleus, while the modern model describes electrons as existing in regions of probability called orbitals.

Can the Bohr model be used for all elements?

No, the Bohr model is only accurate for atoms with one electron, such as hydrogen. For atoms with multiple electrons, the model becomes more complex and less accurate. The modern atomic model, based on quantum mechanics, is used to describe the behavior of all elements.

What is the significance of finding n using the Bohr model?

Finding n in the Bohr model allows us to understand the electronic structure of an atom, which in turn helps explain the chemical properties and behavior of elements. It also serves as the basis for the development of more advanced atomic models and theories.