Finding parameters of a hyperbolic orbit

In summary, the homework statement is that a particle of mass is moving in a repulsive inverse square law force. The paramters of the (far branch of the)hyperbolic orbit are found to be -1+epsiloncos(theta-theta_o), in terms of m, mu, A, h. The particle is projected at a distance a from the center of force with velocity v at an angle beta wrt the radius vector corresponding to theta=0. Using these initial conditions, h, the semi-latus rectum, ell, epsilon, and theta_o are found.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is moving in a repulsive inverse square law force ##\mathbf{F}(\mathbf{r}) = (\mu/r^2)\hat{r}##. Given that ##u(\theta) = -\frac{\mu}{mh^2} + A\cos(\theta - \theta_o)##,
1) Determine the paramters of the (far branch of the)hyperbolic orbit: $$\frac{\ell}{r} = -1 + \epsilon \cos(\theta - \theta_o)$$ in terms of ##m,\mu,A, h##.

2)The particle is projected at a distance a from the centre of force with velocity v at an angle ##\beta## wrt the radius vector corresponding to ##\theta = 0##. Use these initial conditions to find h, the semi-latus rectum ##\ell##, ##\epsilon, \theta_o##. Express your results in terms of ##v,\beta, a, m/\mu##.

The Attempt at a Solution

1)Sub in the expression for u given (the eqn in u was part of a show that) to get $$-\frac{\ell \mu}{mh^2} + \ell A \cos(\theta-\theta_o) = -1 + \epsilon \cos(\theta-\theta_o)$$
I can then identify ##\frac{\ell \mu}{mh^2} = 1 \Rightarrow \ell = \frac{mh^2}{\mu}## and ##\epsilon = \ell A = \frac{mh^2 A}{\mu}##Is this what they mean by parameters?

2) Defining ##\beta## from the radius vector, I arrived at the following two expressions:$$
\mathbf{v} = \sin \beta \hat{\theta} - \cos \beta \hat{r}\,\,\,0< \beta < \pi/2 ,$$or$$\mathbf{v} = \sin \beta \hat{\theta} + \cos \beta \hat{r}\,\,\,\pi/2 < \beta < \pi$$

One IC could be ##u(\theta = 0) = 1/a = -\frac{\mu}{mh^2} + A \cos(\theta_o)##. To get another IC, I thought I could then take the derivative of u and equate the derivative to the radial component of ##\mathbf{v}## I obtained above. (but I have two different radial components depending on ##\beta##)

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Given the initial velocity, angle and the radius, you obtain the angular momentum, which I think is ## h ## in your notation. All that you need to find then is ## A ## and ## \theta_0 ##, which you obtain from the equations for ## u ## and ## u' ##, just like you intend to.

voko said:
Given the initial velocity, angle and the radius, you obtain the angular momentum, which I think is ## h ## in your notation. All that you need to find then is ## A ## and ## \theta_0 ##, which you obtain from the equations for ## u ## and ## u' ##, just like you intend to.
$$u'(\theta) = -A \sin (\theta - \theta_o) = \frac{r^2}{\dot{r}h}$$. At ##\theta = 0,## r=a so then $$u' = A \sin {\theta_o} = \frac{a^2}{v \cos \beta h}, \dot{r} = v \cos \beta$$

Then $$\tan \theta_o = \frac{a^2}{v \cos \beta h} / (-\frac{1}{a} + \frac{\mu}{mh^2}),$$where ##|L| = mh => h = mav \sin \beta/m = a v \sin \beta##.

Then sub in expression for ##\theta_o## above into other eqn to solve for A?

CAF123 said:
$$u'(\theta) = -A \sin (\theta - \theta_o) = \frac{r^2}{\dot{r}h}$$.

If ## u = r^{-1} ##, then ## u' = -r^{-2} \dot {r} \dot{\theta}^{-1} = -r^{-2} \dot {r} r^2 h^{-1} = - \frac {\dot{r}} {h} ##. The rest seems OK.

voko said:
If ## u = r^{-1} ##, then ## u' = -r^{-2} \dot {r} \dot{\theta}^{-1} = -r^{-2} \dot {r} r^2 h^{-1} = - \frac {\dot{r}} {h} ##. The rest seems OK.

Ok, I get $$\theta_o = \operatorname{arctan}\left(\frac{cot \theta(mav sin^2 \beta)}{\mu - mv^2 a sin \beta}\right),$$ and $$A = \frac{\frac{1}{a} + \frac{\mu}{ma^2 v^2 \sin^2 \beta}}{arctan(\frac{cot \theta(mav sin^2 \beta)}{\mu - mv^2a sin \beta})}$$

It looks a mess, but I think I am getting used to accepting complicated looking answers in this course I am taking.

I do not understand the ## \cot \theta ## term. ## \theta = 0 ## in the initial condition, so why is it there?

Rather, ##\cot \beta##.

voko said:
If ## u = r^{-1} ##, then ## u' = -r^{-2} \dot {r} \dot{\theta}^{-1} = -r^{-2} \dot {r} r^2 h^{-1} = - \frac {\dot{r}} {h} ##.

Actually a quick question about this: Does the above not assume r is a function of t?

EDIT: If I understand correctly, you did ##u' = \frac{d}{d\theta} r^{-1} = \frac{d}{dt} r^{-1} \frac{dt}{d\theta}##.

Last edited:
I am not sure what the difficulty is. In dynamics, everything is a function of t. Something may also be a function of something else, but then that something else will have to be a function of t anyway.

voko said:
I am not sure what the difficulty is. In dynamics, everything is a function of t. Something may also be a function of something else, but then that something else will have to be a function of t anyway.

Yes, it makes sense - r is a function of theta and theta is a function of t.

The expressions for h and l are nice, ##\theta_o## is okay but ##\epsilon## involves stuff/(cos(arctan(cot ##\beta## (stuff)))). I could probably simplify the cos(arctan..) using trig, but the argument of arctan is quite complicated and 'simplifying' it may make it even messier.

Well, you could definitely give it a try. I know I would not want to.

1. What is a hyperbolic orbit?

A hyperbolic orbit is a type of orbit in which an object travels around a central body in a shape that resembles a hyperbola. This means that the object is not in a closed, elliptical path and will eventually escape the gravitational pull of the central body.

2. How do you find the parameters of a hyperbolic orbit?

The parameters of a hyperbolic orbit can be calculated by using Kepler's laws of planetary motion and the equations of conic sections. These parameters include the eccentricity, semi-major axis, and the orbital energy of the object.

3. Can a hyperbolic orbit be stable?

No, a hyperbolic orbit is not stable because the object is not bound to the central body and will eventually escape its gravitational pull. However, it can have a long duration before escaping and can appear stable for a short period of time.

4. What are the applications of studying hyperbolic orbits?

Studying hyperbolic orbits is important in understanding the dynamics of objects in our solar system and beyond. It is also crucial in planning space missions and accurately predicting the movements of comets and other objects with hyperbolic orbits.

5. How is a hyperbolic orbit different from an elliptical orbit?

A hyperbolic orbit differs from an elliptical orbit in that it has an eccentricity greater than 1, meaning that the object will eventually escape the central body's gravitational pull. In contrast, an elliptical orbit has an eccentricity between 0 and 1, meaning that the object will continue to orbit the central body in a closed path.