Finding Peak Values & Calculating Efficiency from Energy & Count Data

In summary: I am an undergraduate student in a physics program at a midwestern university. I am working on a radiation detection project.I am an undergraduate student in a physics program at a midwestern university. I am working on a radiation detection project.This sounds like a great project! Can you tell me a little more about it ?
gxa
At the end of the measurement I made with a detector, I only have the energy and count values as in the attached excel file. How can I find the peak values with the data I have and calculate the efficiency?

Attachments

• 241Am-1cm_Spectrum(0).csv
    42.4 KB · Views: 123
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello @gxa,
:welcome: ##\qquad## !​

Peak values ? Do you mean 1670 and 202 :wink: ? If not, you have to describe more clearly what you mean ...
Efficiency is something like 'found'/'total' and can not be determined from 'found' alone.
So more info is needed...
1636936786351.png

By the way, it seems to me that your 'energy' is a calculated value, so a histogram would be more appropriate than my XL?:)xy plot. Right ?

##\ ##

sorry i explained it a bit confused, i think i need to plot the energy count histogram using the values in excel file. Because i don't know the count value for peak energies

gxa said:
sorry i explained it a bit confused, i think i need to plot the energy count histogram using the values in excel file. Because i don't know the count value for peak energies
Unfortunately, this does not make it any clearer to me.

If I have to guess (again ! -- csv file name and some googling :rolleyes: ) you are looking at the gamma spectrum of 241Am decay . There is a peak at about 60 keV and something more at around 30 keV -- but in comparison with some googled spectra (e.g. this) there is a reduced sensitivity of your detector setup there.
In addition your detector has a certain resolution that causes a peak with some width. You can add up all counts from 40 to 75 keV or do a fit to an asssumed peak shape to estimate a counting rate at the 60 keV peak. Not trivial.

What is is that you have measured and what is it you want to do ?
And what about the efficiency you mentioned ?

##\ ##

Last edited:
I make these measurements with the Radiation detection module C12137. I took measurements from many sources (Na,Cs,Co,Am,Ti,Eu,..).
In my previous study, when I used a (CsI) Cesium Iodide Scintillation Detectors, we could see the peaks directly from the maestro. Since this detector I am using is a little different, I was a little confused and wanted to consult.

gxa said:
Radiation detection module C12137
Nice stuff ! Especially compared to the loose and bulky components I learned to work with some fourty years ago. Somehow I think the principles haven't changed all that much since then :wink:, but it appears to me the goodies (a built in magician with the name maestro :nb) ?) are shielding the modern user from what is going on.

I hope this shiielding isn't to the point of making you unable to answer simple fundamental questions like
BvU said:
What is is that you have measured and what is it you want to do ?
And what about the efficiency you mentioned ?
:rolleyes:

From the link I see a possible explanation of the 30 keV situation:

1636975866555.png

and of the peak width at 60 keV.
gxa said:
this detector I am using is a little different
How so ?
1636976223354.png

or do you mean the

1636976268663.png

? ##\ ##

I have made measurements with this detector at different distances from different sources. I need to find and compare the total and geometry efficiencies. Using the raw data we need to potentially pick a peak and add up the numbers on that peak.Can I create my own spreadsheet and enter it into Maestro or Genie and analyze it. You know that?Then I will try to simulate a detector with MCBEND or OPENMC. In the last step, I want to make a robot.The robot goes in, it has to try to look around, make measurements make decisions on where to move close to sources, what sources connected tact, how well it can detect as we had, you know, the cesium and the cobalt help, how well can it detect that there are two different sources and different types of materials and things

Hehe, this way I learn a lot about all the new stuff : maestro multichannel analyzer emulation software, Genie basic spectroscopy software, MCBEND - radiation shielding and dosimetry software, OpenMC Monte Carlo code (and perhaps further on even about making robots :smile: ) . Stuff that took me eight or nine years to almost learn. But that doesn't help you much.
gxa said:
You know that?
Obviously: no !

You sure have a lot of hay on the fork and my impression so far is that you are nevertheless somewhat a beginner. There is you ("I need to find") and there is a we ("we need to potentially pick"). Are you in a learning environment where you can familiarize yourself with the resources and the fancy tools (and the basics :smile: ) ? Is this a high school, Msc or PhD project ?

If yes, can you focus a little bit ? If no, then you really have your work cut out for you for the forseeable future !

Depending on your answers I could forward your case to others in PF who are a bit more up to date in modern teaching resources...

##\ ##

I am a master's student, but I can't explain myself fully because my English is not very good. I studied electronic engineering at the university and wanted to do my master's on nuclear robotics. That's why I have deficiencies.

1. What is the purpose of finding peak values and calculating efficiency from energy and count data?

The purpose of finding peak values and calculating efficiency from energy and count data is to analyze and understand the performance of a particular system or process. This information can be used to optimize the system and improve its efficiency.

2. How do you find peak values from energy and count data?

To find peak values from energy and count data, you can plot the data on a graph and identify the highest point on the curve. Alternatively, you can use mathematical methods such as differentiation to determine the peak values.

3. What is the formula for calculating efficiency from energy and count data?

The formula for calculating efficiency from energy and count data is efficiency = (output energy / input energy) * 100%. This formula takes into account the amount of energy put into a system and the amount of useful energy that is produced as a result.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of peak values and efficiency calculations?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of peak values and efficiency calculations, including measurement errors, instrument limitations, and environmental factors. It is important to control for these factors and use multiple data points to ensure accurate results.

5. How can peak values and efficiency calculations be used in real-world applications?

Peak values and efficiency calculations can be used in various real-world applications, such as in renewable energy systems, industrial processes, and scientific experiments. These calculations can help identify areas for improvement and optimize the performance of these systems to increase efficiency and reduce costs.