Measurements with the CsI(Tl) detector

In summary, the spectrometer was not used efficiently and the counts were too spread out. By reducing the conversion gain and adusting the pulse height gain, the high energy peaks near the highest channel would stand out more.
gxa
I made an experiment in the lab. I took some measurements with the CsI(Tl) detector by placing the cobalt at a distance of 5 cm. I have attached the measurement result. I need to find the count for the peak energies. How can I do it? Any idea?

Attachments

• 60Co-C3N1918-5cm_Spectrum(0).csv
    42.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 60Co-C3N1918-5cm_Spectrum(0).csv
    42.8 KB · Views: 107
Engineering news on Phys.org
You did not use the spectrometer efficiently. The counts are too spread out. You should reduce the conversion gain i.e., use fewer channels for the spectrum, and adust the pulse height gain to put the highest energy peak near the highest channel.

512 channels should be enough about 2keV per channel. If the resolution (Full Width at Half Mac) is 8% for example that would encompass about 40 channels.

With the spectra you have, you could bin (combine) about 8 consecutive channels to make your peaks stand out more. This would be like using only 512 channels.

Thank you for your answer, the detector I use is a usb detector and I can only change these settings (I am sending it in the attachment)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 107
Hello again,

1637171335020.png

You haven't been counting very long, have you ?
There is some similarity with e.g. the plot here
Co60.jpg

I hope your 'peaks' are only the ones at 1173 and 1332 keV ? The others are hard to distinguish and that means fitting will be hard too.

The general recipe is:
Form an expression for the assumed counting rate N(x) in a certain energy range, e.g. for two gaussian peaks on a quadratic background:$$N = ax^2 + bx + c \quad
+ C_1 \exp\left (- {(E_1-x)^2\over 2 \sigma_1^2}\right ) \quad +
C_2 \exp\left (- {(E_2-x)^2\over 2 \sigma_2^2}\right ) $$ and minimize ##\sum \Bigl (n_{observed}(x) - N_{expected}(x)\Bigr )^2## by varying the fit parameters ##(a,b,c,C_1, E_1,\sigma_1,C_2, E_2,\sigma_2)##

Figure below shows a half-hearted attempt with C1 =560, C2 = 480

1637174908267.png

but my hunch is you have software tools at your disposal that do this a whole lot better ...

And the binning together as @gleem proposes reduces the noise considerably

##\ ##

I'm only counting for 1 minute, thanks for your answers

1. What is a CsI(Tl) detector?

A CsI(Tl) detector is a type of scintillation detector that is commonly used in nuclear physics experiments. It consists of a crystal made of cesium iodide (CsI) doped with thallium (Tl) atoms. When high-energy particles pass through the crystal, they interact with the atoms and produce light, which is then detected and converted into an electrical signal.

2. How is a CsI(Tl) detector used in measurements?

A CsI(Tl) detector is used to measure the energy and intensity of particles, such as gamma rays and electrons, that are emitted in nuclear reactions. The amount of light produced in the crystal is directly proportional to the energy of the particle, allowing for accurate measurements to be made.

3. What are the advantages of using a CsI(Tl) detector?

One of the main advantages of a CsI(Tl) detector is its high sensitivity and efficiency in detecting particles. It also has a wide energy range, making it suitable for a variety of experiments. Additionally, CsI(Tl) crystals have good spatial resolution, allowing for precise position measurements of particles.

4. Are there any limitations to using a CsI(Tl) detector?

One limitation of a CsI(Tl) detector is its relatively slow response time compared to other types of detectors. This can make it unsuitable for experiments that require fast data collection. Additionally, CsI(Tl) crystals are sensitive to temperature changes and may require temperature stabilization for accurate measurements.

5. How is the data from a CsI(Tl) detector analyzed?

The electrical signals from the CsI(Tl) detector are typically amplified and processed by electronic equipment, such as a multichannel analyzer. The data is then analyzed using software programs to determine the energy and intensity of the particles detected by the crystal. This data can be used to study various nuclear phenomena and properties of particles.