Finding Pivot Columns in Matrix A & Solving Ax = b

In summary, the conversation is about finding the pivot columns of a matrix A and solving for Ax = b. The speaker is also attempting to solve for Ax = 0 but is having trouble with a zero in row 2, column 3 of the reduced matrix. They suspect they may have made a mistake while performing row operations. The other speaker suggests that there should be no fractions in the reduced matrix.
physmatics

Homework Statement

So, I want to find the pivot columns to the matrix A:

A=
-1 1 -5 0 2
3 0 6 1 -1
2 -1 7 2 1
2 -7 25 5 1

and after that I want to solve Ax = b where b is (I kind of want to solve Ax = 0 as well, but let's skip that...):

b=
a+3
2a
-a-1
-9a-5

My thought was to solve everything at the same time, and I started doing that by gausselimination. The problem is that I've been stuck for a while with this:

C=
15 0 -15 0 0
0 3 0 0 0
0 0 -6 -1 0
0 0 0 5 10

and

d=
26a+7
a+2
2a
2a+14

The zero at row 2, column 3 is giving me a headache, and I don't know how to solve it at all. Is it possible I made a mistake while doing these row operations?

I'm very thankful for any kind of advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
physmatics said:
[tex]C=\begin{pmatrix}
15 & 0 & -15 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 3 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & -6 & -1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 5 & 10
\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
The zero at row 2, column 3 is giving me a headache, and I don't know how to solve it at all. Is it possible I made a mistake while doing these row operations?
Why is that 0 a problem?

By the way, I think you did make a mistake reducing the matrix somewhere. When I reduced it, there were no fractions in the result, but it looks like you'll end up with some.

Related to Finding Pivot Columns in Matrix A & Solving Ax = b

What is a pivot column in a matrix?

A pivot column in a matrix is a column that contains a pivot element, which is the first non-zero element in that column. It is a crucial element in Gaussian elimination, a method used to solve systems of linear equations.

How do I find pivot columns in a matrix?

To find pivot columns in a matrix, you can use Gaussian elimination. This involves performing row operations on the matrix until it is in row echelon form. The columns that contain the first non-zero element in each row are the pivot columns.

Why is finding pivot columns important?

Finding pivot columns is important because they help us identify the independent variables in a system of linear equations. This enables us to find a unique solution to the system and determine if the system is consistent or inconsistent.

How do I solve Ax = b using pivot columns?

To solve the system of linear equations Ax = b using pivot columns, you first need to find the pivot columns. Next, you use Gaussian elimination to reduce the matrix to row echelon form. Finally, you can use back substitution to find the values of the variables and solve for x.

Can I use pivot columns to solve non-linear equations?

No, pivot columns can only be used to solve systems of linear equations. Non-linear equations require different methods, such as substitution or graphing, to find solutions.