Calculate gain of a transfer function without root locus

In summary: It seems to be the coefficients of a second order differential equation, which may be necessary in order to solve for the damping ratio.
surreystudent
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Hi,

Having a bit of trouble with this question: "Assuming a proportional controller is used, determine the gain to achieve a damping ratio of 0.5, for the following transfer function. Hence calculate the associated natural frequency and oscillation period. G(s) = -4(s+0.4) / s^2+1.6s+14."

I would normally try and solve this using root locus method, but the question explicitly says not to use root locus. The furthest I've been able to go is determining the zeros and poles of the transfer function as -0.4, and -1.6+/-3.66i respectively. Some additional data is given: "Data that may be required: (s-2.38)(s+4.14-2.60i)(s+4.14-2.60i)=s^3+5.9s^2+4.24s-56.82" I think I recognise the left hand side of that equation coming from the characteristic equation of a state space model but I'm really not sure how I could use this.

Can anyone lend a hand? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
is G(s) your plant or your closed loop system?

Basically just plug a gain k in your system. Re-evaluate your closed loop transfer function. Then solve for the damping ratio you need.

donpacino said:
is G(s) your plant or your closed loop system?

Basically just plug a gain k in your system. Re-evaluate your closed loop transfer function. Then solve for the damping ratio you need.

It's not explicitly stated but I believe it's for the plant alone. I'm afraid I'm slightly confused by what you mean by reevaluating the transfer function, surely if I just add a proportional gain it's not going to change where the roots of the characteristic equation are?

surreystudent said:
It's not explicitly stated but I believe it's for the plant alone. I'm afraid I'm slightly confused by what you mean by reevaluating the transfer function, surely if I just add a proportional gain it's not going to change where the roots of the characteristic equation are?

Root locus adds a gain in front of the transfer function, then takes negative feedback. Because of the neg feedback the gain effects the poles of the transfer function.

The same principal occurs here. You are doing VERY similar analysis to root locus. Simply apply negative feedback and see how the gain effects the poles.

I assume that G(s) is the plant transfer function - and the loop should be closed using a P-controller.
As a result, the closed-loop gain should have a dampiung ratio of 0.5.
This seems to be a clear description of the task
However, what is the information content of the "additional data"?
You are asking us - hence, you should know something about the meaning of these "data".

Question 1: What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It is commonly used in control systems to describe the dynamics of a system.

Question 2: How do you calculate the gain of a transfer function?

The gain of a transfer function can be calculated by finding the ratio of the output to the input at a specific frequency. This can be done by substituting the frequency value into the transfer function and solving for the gain.

Question 3: Why is the root locus method not used to calculate the gain of a transfer function?

The root locus method is not used to calculate the gain of a transfer function because it is primarily used for analyzing the stability of a system and determining the location of the system's poles. It does not provide a direct calculation of the gain value.

Question 4: What is the significance of calculating the gain of a transfer function?

Calculating the gain of a transfer function is important in understanding the behavior of a control system. It helps determine the system's sensitivity to changes in the input and allows for the design of an appropriate controller to achieve the desired output.

Question 5: Are there any limitations to calculating the gain of a transfer function?

Yes, there are limitations to calculating the gain of a transfer function. It assumes a linear and time-invariant system, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, it may not take into account external disturbances or nonlinearities in the system.