Root Locus of Negative Feedback System

In summary: And so the final answer is:In summary, the root locus is the closed loop gain calculated from the plant's function and the feedback loop equation.
Weaver
Homework Statement
(Included in picture below) Essentially, sketching the root locus for a simple control system with negative feedback
Relevant Equations
N/A
question.png

From my understanding, the root locus is only concerned with open loop gain. I figured this means you would ignore the negative feedback loop and calculate the root locus from just the plant's function

Workings:
zeros: -1
poles: 0, -2, -2,

relative degree = 2
=> 90-degree asymptotes
meeting point = -3/2

And then sketch using that information

However, in the provided hints:
solution.png

Looking at this, it seems the open loop transfer function is the two functions (plant and controller) multiplied together
We've never covered this in the lectures, but does this mean that for open loop with negative feedback, you'd just include the negative feedback in the main branch?

Physics news on Phys.org
Weaver said:
From my understanding, the root locus is only concerned with open loop gain. I figured this means you would ignore the negative feedback loop and calculate the root locus from just the plant's function
You vary the open loop gain correct, but the system of equations is for the entire closed loop.

anorlunda said:
You vary the open loop gain correct, but the system of equations is for the entire closed loop.
Thanks for the reply!

So I found the closed loop function to be:

$$\frac {K(0.5s^2 + 1.5s + 1)} {(0.5s^4 + 3s^3 + 6s^2 + (4+K)s + K)}$$

However, the hints for question imply it should be a lot simpler than this

$$ 2K \frac {s+1} {s(s+2)^3} $$

Is there a step after finding the closed loop gain to convert it to the form needed for the root locus analysis?

Workings:

Using the block diagram reduction method for negative feedback:

Okay, I think I have it figured out. All of the examples we covered in our notes were unity feedback based. This lead to a misunderstanding on my behalf.

For root locus, you find the closed loop gain.

You then get manipulate it into the form
$$\frac {f(s)} {factor(1+ \frac {h(s)}{g(s)})}$$

This matches the feedback loop equation and so the open loop gain can be considered to be $$\frac {h(s)}{g(s)}$$

I've since figured out the workings for this question:

$$\frac {2K(s+1)} {s(s+2)^3}$$
answer.jpg

Likes anorlunda

1. What is the root locus of a negative feedback system?

The root locus is a graphical representation of the possible locations of the closed-loop poles of a negative feedback system as a function of a system parameter, typically the proportional gain. It shows how the poles of the system move in the complex plane as the gain is varied.

2. How is the root locus useful in control system design?

The root locus provides valuable information about the stability and performance of a negative feedback system. By analyzing the root locus, engineers can determine the appropriate gain value to achieve desired system characteristics such as stability, settling time, and overshoot.

3. What are the key features of a root locus plot?

The key features of a root locus plot include the asymptotes, breakaway and break-in points, and the branches of the locus. The asymptotes indicate the direction in which the poles move as the gain increases. The breakaway and break-in points are the locations where the branches of the locus intersect with the real axis.

4. How does the location of the open-loop poles affect the root locus?

The location of the open-loop poles has a significant impact on the shape and behavior of the root locus. If the open-loop poles are close to the origin, the root locus will be more sensitive to changes in gain and may exhibit oscillatory behavior. If the open-loop poles are far from the origin, the root locus will be less sensitive to gain variations.

5. Can the root locus be used for systems with multiple feedback loops?

Yes, the root locus can be used for systems with multiple feedback loops by considering the overall transfer function of the system. The root locus will show the combined effect of all feedback loops on the closed-loop poles. However, the analysis may become more complex as the number of feedback loops increases.