Finding population density with double integrals

In summary, the city has a population density of f(r, θ) in thousands of people per square km, where r and θ are polar coordinates. Part (a) asks for an iterated integral in polar coordinates to find the total population of the city, with the bounds 1<r<4 and 0<theta<pi. In part (b), it is stated that the population density decreases as distance from the shoreline of the bay and the ocean increases. The correct function that describes this situation is f(r, θ) = (4 − r)(2 − sin θ). The population can be calculated using the bounds and integral set up for part (a).
Mohamed Abdul

Homework Statement

A city surrounds a bay as shown in Figure 1. The population density of the city (in thousands of people per square km) is f(r, θ), where r and θ are polar coordinates and distances are in km.

(a) Set up an iterated integral in polar coordinates to find the total population of the city.

(b) The population density decreases the farther you live from the shoreline of the bay; it also decreases the farther you live from the ocean. Which of the following functions best describes this situation?
i. f(r, θ) = (4 − r)(2 + sin θ)
ii. f(r, θ) = (4 − r)(2 − sin θ)
iii. f(r, θ) = (4 + r)(2 − cos θ)
Find the population using your answers to parts (a) and (b) above.

Here is the diagram the question refers to:
qlBEfpN.png

Homework Equations

I'm assuming population = double integral of population density.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part, I believe I should make a double integral with my bounds 1<r<4 and 0<theta<pi. In the integrand I'll simply put in f(r,θ). However, I'm not sure on the bounds for r. Do I use the lower and upper radius, or am I supposed to be finding the difference between the two circles depicted?

For the second part, I believe that iii would be correct since further distance would be marked with an increase in the r variable. I'm not too sure on this however

Also, I believe that the population can be calculated with the bounds and integral set up for a, but again, I'm unsure about my bounds for r.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

• qlBEfpN.png
    qlBEfpN.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 1,045
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, I forgot to add the relevant diagram. I've updated the OP, so if anyone could help me out I'd be very thankful.

Your belief that you should set up a double integral is correct. Do you have an idea about how to do this? Hint: The number of people in an area element dA is dN = f(r,θ)dA. All you have to do is add all such area elements over the area where people live, i.e. where f(r,θ) is non-zero. That should guide your thinking about the bounds.

kuruman said:
Your belief that you should set up a double integral is correct. Do you have an idea about how to do this? Hint: The number of people in an area element dA is dN = f(r,θ)dA. All you have to do is add all such area elements over the area where people live, i.e. where f(r,θ) is non-zero. That should guide your thinking about the bounds.
2SdOl
This is what I have so far, am I on the right track?
OXf51u9.jpg

Attachments

• OXf51u9.jpg
    OXf51u9.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 924
Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see what you have so far.

kuruman said:
I can't see what you have so far.
Sorry, I updated my post

You have correctly written the element dA = r dr dθ. Please read my post #3 again. For part (a) you are supposed to add elements dN, but you are actually adding elements dA.

kuruman said:
You have correctly written the element dA = r dr dθ. Please read my post #3 again. For part (a) you are supposed to add elements dN, but you are actually adding elements dA.
For part a then, would I just put the f(r,theta)rdrdtheta stuff in there. But then I'm not sure what I would put for my final integral, since I'm not sure which of the integrals would make sense in the context of the problem.

Mohamed Abdul said:
For part a then, would I just put the f(r,theta)rdrdtheta stuff in there.
That is correct.
Mohamed Abdul said:
I'm not sure which of the integrals would make sense in the context of the problem.
Figure out which of the three given distributions mathematically describes that
"The population density decreases the farther you live from the shoreline of the bay; it also decreases the farther you live from the ocean."

kuruman said:
That is correct.

Figure out which of the three given distributions mathematically describes that
"The population density decreases the farther you live from the shoreline of the bay; it also decreases the farther you live from the ocean."
That would fit the second one: f(r, θ) = (4 − r)(2 − sin θ), since both parts of this function decrease with an increase with their respective variables. Or am I seeing this the wrong way?

You are seeing it the right way. Now that you know the distribution all that remains is finding the population.

kuruman said:
You are seeing it the right way. Now that you know the distribution all that remains is finding the population.
I'll get on that then, thank you very much

1. How is population density calculated using double integrals?

Population density can be calculated by finding the integral of the population function over the region of interest. This involves breaking down the region into smaller rectangles and adding up the population within each rectangle, then taking the limit as the size of the rectangles approaches zero.

2. What factors influence population density?

Several factors can influence population density, including the size and resources of the region, economic opportunities, and cultural and social factors. Generally, areas with more resources and opportunities tend to have higher population densities.

3. Can double integrals be used to find population density in three-dimensional space?

Yes, double integrals can be extended to three-dimensional space to find the population density of a region. This involves finding the triple integral of the population function over the volume of the region.

4. How accurate is the population density calculated using double integrals?

The accuracy of the population density calculated using double integrals depends on the accuracy of the data used in the population function and the precision of the integration method. The smaller the rectangles used and the more accurate the data, the more precise the result will be.

5. Are there any limitations to using double integrals to find population density?

One limitation of using double integrals to find population density is that it assumes a continuous distribution of population within the region. This may not accurately reflect the actual distribution of the population, especially in areas with uneven population distribution.