Hard Double Integral Homework: Solve & Understand

In summary, the conversation is about solving an integral using polar coordinates and a substitution of x=r.cos(Θ) and y=r.sin(Θ). The solution involves finding the value of ln(1+r^2) at the endpoints, but there was a mistake in the evaluation due to not squaring the lower limit when substituting for r.
CollinsArg

Homework Statement

I'm given the integral show in the adjunct picture, in the same one there is my attempt at a solution.

Homework Equations

x = r.cos(Θ)
y = r.sin(Θ)
dA = r.dr.dΘ

The Attempt at a Solution

gif&s=1.gif
[/B]
I tried to do it in polar coordinates, so I substituted x=r.cos(Θ) y=r.sin(Θ) in the function, I know the answer for the first integral will be ln (1+r^2)/2, but I don't know what should I do with that theta as an exponent of two, inside of a function with a squared root xP. Thank you

Attachments

• gif&s=1.gif
    gif&s=1.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 788
  • _20171109_203546.JPG
    _20171109_203546.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CollinsArg said:

Homework Statement

I'm given the integral show in the adjunct picture, in the same one there is my attempt at a solution.

Homework Equations

x = r.cos(Θ)
y = r.sin(Θ)
dA = r.dr.dΘ

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 214717 [/B]
I tried to do it in polar coordinates, so I substituted x=r.cos(Θ) y=r.sin(Θ) in the function, I know the answer for the first integral will be ln (1+r^2)/2, but I don't know what should I do with that theta as an exponent of two, inside of a function with a squared root xP. Thank you
There's a mistake in your work. One of your steps is ##\frac 1 2 \int_0^{\pi/4} \ln(1 + r^2) |_{r = \sqrt{2^{1 - \theta} - 1}}^1 d\theta##. When you evaluate the integrand at the two endpoints, remember that you have ##r^2## in the integrand, not r. That makes things a lot simpler.

Likes CollinsArg
You're on the right track. You forgot to square the lower limit when you plugged it in for r. What is [itex] \log(1+r^2) [/itex] when you plug in [itex]r=\sqrt{2^{1-\theta}-1}[/itex]?

Likes CollinsArg
Thank you so much!

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume under a surface in two dimensions. It involves finding the area between two curves on a graph, and then integrating that area over a given range of values.

2. What makes a double integral "hard"?

Double integrals can be challenging because they require a good understanding of basic calculus concepts, such as integrals, limits, and multiple variables. Additionally, the process of solving a double integral can be time-consuming and involve complex calculations.

3. How do you solve a double integral?

To solve a double integral, you first need to identify the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you need to set up the integral in either rectangular or polar coordinates, depending on the given problem. Next, you evaluate the integral using the appropriate integration techniques, such as u-substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities.

4. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite double integral?

A definite double integral has specific limits of integration and results in a single numerical value. This is used to calculate the exact volume under a surface. On the other hand, an indefinite double integral has no limits and results in a general function. This is typically used to find the antiderivative of a function.

5. How can I check if my solution to a double integral is correct?

You can check your solution to a double integral by using different integration techniques, such as switching the order of integration or using a different set of limits. You can also use software tools, such as Wolfram Alpha, to verify your answer. Additionally, double integrals have real-world applications, so you can also check if your solution makes sense in the context of the given problem.