Finding possible combinations of capacitors given circuit capacitance

In summary, the possible combinations for finding capacitance can be determined by drawing circuit diagrams, but it is also possible to use a list of configurations. There is no closed formula for this problem, and it may be more practical to use circuit diagrams.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this problem,
1675969562591.png

The solution is,
1675969587554.png

Is the only way of finding the possible combinations is by drawing out circuit diagrams?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Callumnc1 said:
Homework Statement:: Please see below
Relevant Equations:: Please see below

For this problem,
View attachment 322007
The solution is,
View attachment 322008
Is the only way of finding the possible combinations is by drawing out circuit diagrams?

Many thanks!

Drawing a circuit diagram surely helps when you are trying to figure out the capacitance for each particular configuration. However, if you intensely dislike drawing circuit diagrams, you can always look at the list that you posted above.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Callumnc1 said:
Homework Statement:: Please see below
Relevant Equations:: Please see below

For this problem,
View attachment 322007
The solution is,
View attachment 322008

Many thanks!
I think so. For such a small case a closed formula doesn't make sense to me and for very many passive circuit elements like resistors, capacitors or coils I am quite sure to not have a closed mathematical formula at all - plus, there is no usage for such a general case.

Likes ChiralSuperfields

1. How do I calculate the total capacitance of a circuit?

The total capacitance of a circuit can be calculated by adding the individual capacitances of each capacitor in series, or by using the reciprocal method for capacitors in parallel.

2. How do I determine the possible combinations of capacitors to achieve a specific circuit capacitance?

To determine the possible combinations of capacitors, you can use the formula Ceq = C1 + C2 + ... + Cn for capacitors in series, or the formula 1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + ... + 1/Cn for capacitors in parallel. Substitute the known values for Ceq and one of the capacitors, and solve for the remaining capacitor(s).

3. Can I use capacitors with different values in a circuit?

Yes, you can use capacitors with different values in a circuit. However, the total capacitance will depend on the specific combination of capacitors used.

4. How do I know which combination of capacitors will work best for my circuit?

The best combination of capacitors for a circuit will depend on the specific requirements and constraints of the circuit. Factors to consider include the desired capacitance, voltage rating, and physical size of the capacitors.

5. Are there any limitations to the number of capacitors that can be used in a circuit?

There is no specific limit to the number of capacitors that can be used in a circuit. However, using too many capacitors may result in a complex and inefficient circuit design. It is important to carefully consider the trade-offs and choose the most practical combination of capacitors for a circuit.