Finding potential at a specific point in the circuit Help

In summary, the problem involves finding the potentials at points V1 and V2 in a circuit with resistances of 2 ohms and emf1 = 5V and emf2 = 12V. Using the junction and loop rules, the current I1 is found to be 1A, I3 to be 0.5A, and I4 to be 0.5A. By replacing R3 and R4 with their equivalent resistance and using the voltage difference of 7V between the two sources, the current is determined to be 7V divided by the equivalent resistance of all the resistors. From here, the potentials at V1 and V2 can be calculated relative to the ground reference.
koab1mjr
Finding potential at a specific point in the circuit... Help!

Homework Statement

....... ground
.......|
----R2-------------------
|......|...|
|......|...|
|......|...|
R1......R3...R4
|......|...|
|......---------
|......|
Emf1.....Emf2
|......|
|......|
V2-----R5-------V1

dots are for spacing that is all

The resistances are all 2 ohms and emf1 = 5V and emf2 =12 V
what are the potentials at points V1 and V2

Homework Equations

currents are noted by what resistor they flow through
I1 = I2 = I5

I used the following equations
junction rule
I1 = I4 + I3
loop rule
Emf1 - I1R1-I1R2-I3R3-emf2-1R5 = 0

Emf1 - I1R1-I1R2-I4R4-emf2-1R5 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above I found I1 = 1amp, I3 = 0.5 amp and I4 = 0.5 amp

Now where i am stuck is when trying to find the potential at a point. This is the first time i seen such a problem related to a circuit. Before I seen difference between two points or something like that or voltage at a resistor or something but V1 and V2 are on the wires. I tried taking two separate pathes between V1 and V2 but that did not pan out.

I just looking for some hints on how to approach

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I think you are making it more complicated than it needs to be.

Since R3 || R4 that means you can replace it with the equivalent R for the 2.

I can't see which direction your Voltage sources are pointing, but you seem to indicate that they are opposing each other through R5, so that suggests that difference of the Voltages 7V is the effective voltage delivered through all the resistors. So I = 7v/Req of all the resistors.

Armed with the current I, then simply figure your V1 and V2 from the relative step up or step down from the ground reference.

[Solved]

Thank you so much Lowly, now that you mention it. The solution is easy. -11V for V1 and - 9V for V2.

I probably did make it over complicated with loops, but is there any circumstance where one cannot reduce all the resitances to a single Req.

koab1mjr said:
[Solved]

Thank you so much Lowly, now that you mention it. The solution is easy. -11V for V1 and - 9V for V2.

I probably did make it over complicated with loops, but is there any circumstance where one cannot reduce all the resitances to a single Req.

It depends really on what you are trying to do. If all the resistances do resolve into an equivalent then of course. But if you have a mesh of nodes with multiple active sources, then maybe you would want to just simplify the ones that make your life easier.

Of course a computer programmed generalized solver would just analyze every node and loop and take the mess of equations and solve them faster than you can say Bob's your uncle. Basically I guess between the two extremes let common sense be your guide.

Related to Finding potential at a specific point in the circuit Help

1. How do I determine the potential at a specific point in a circuit?

To determine the potential at a specific point in a circuit, you must use Ohm's Law, which states that the potential difference (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). You will also need to consider the direction of current flow and the voltage drop across any components in the circuit.

2. Can I use a multimeter to measure the potential at a specific point in a circuit?

Yes, a multimeter can be used to measure the potential at a specific point in a circuit. Make sure to set the multimeter to the appropriate voltage range and place the probes across the two points where you want to measure the potential difference.

3. How does the position of a point in a circuit affect its potential?

The position of a point in a circuit can affect its potential due to the voltage drop across components in the circuit. The potential will be higher closer to the power source and lower farther away due to the resistance of the components. Additionally, the potential can be affected by the direction of current flow and the presence of any voltage sources or resistors.

4. What is the unit of measurement for potential in a circuit?

The unit of measurement for potential in a circuit is volts (V). This is a measure of the electrical potential difference between two points in a circuit.

5. How can I calculate the potential at a specific point in a circuit using Kirchhoff's laws?

Kirchhoff's laws, specifically Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) and Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL), can be used to calculate the potential at a specific point in a circuit. KVL states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop is equal to the sum of all voltage sources in the loop. KCL states that the sum of all currents entering and leaving a node (junction) in a circuit is equal to zero. By applying these laws and solving the resulting equations, you can find the potential at a specific point in the circuit.