Using Kirchhoff's Laws to Solve this Circuit with Voltage and Current Sources

In summary: What is wrong with I=0, as @ehild said some currents can be zero...Do you have the answer key and it says that the currents through the resistors of 2Ohms are different than zero?
sofiapastrana
Homework Statement
Determine the power across every element.
Relevant Equations
KCL and KVL.
I have defined 5 currents but I can't seem to solve it.

I1+1=I2 (left)
I5+1=I4 (right)
I2+I4=I3 upper node

By KVL I have determined that I2 and I4 are equal, but I cannot determine the specific current across each resistor. Thank you for your valuable help.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 158
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
sofiapastrana said:
Homework Statement:: Determine the power across every element.
Relevant Equations:: KCL and KVL.

I have defined 5 currents but I can't seem to solve it.

I1+1=I2 (left)
I5+1=I4 (right)
I2+I4=I3 upper node

By KVL I have determined that I2 and I4 are equal, but I cannot determine the specific current across each resistor. Thank you for your valuable help.
Maybe try transforming the outer two current sources into their Thevenin equivalent voltage source + series resistor versions? That would make it easier to write the KCL equations, IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thévenin's_theorem

Likes DaveE
I get your point, it's that I cannot apply the theorem because this exercise is part of a collection corresponding to unit 1, a time when I hadn't been taught the theorem. I can only use Kirchhoff or Ohm's law. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Set $$I_2=I_4=I$$. Then $$I_3=2I$$ $$I_1=I-1$$. Now i think you can apply KVL on the left loop that contains the ##4\Omega## resistor (which has current ##I_1##) and the two ##2\Omega## resistors (that have current ##I## and ##2I## respectively) and the voltage source 4V. If you apply it correctly i think you ll have an equation with only one unknown the current ##I##.

Delta2 said:
Set $$I_2=I_4=I$$. Then $$I_3=2I$$ $$I_1=I-1$$. Now i think you can apply KVL on the left loop that contains the ##4\Omega## resistor (which has current ##I_1##) and the two ##2\Omega## resistors (that have current ##I## and ##2I## respectively) and the voltage source 4V. If you apply it correctly i think you ll have an equation with only one unknown the current ##I##.
Thank you for your help, but that equation makes I = 0.

sofiapastrana said:
The symmetry should help.
Imagine it folded in half, connecting the halves electrically. What replaces the two 2Ω resistors, the two 4Ω resistors and the two 1A sources?

Likes sofiapastrana
sofiapastrana said:
Some currents can be zero in a circuit...

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
The symmetry should help.
Imagine it folded in half, connecting the halves electrically. What replaces the two 2Ω resistors, the two 4Ω resistors and the two 1A sources?
I get your point, but as a freshman in college I don't think I have the knowledge to understand your strategy. Could you explain it more plainly? Thank you very much.

sofiapastrana said:
I get your point, but as a freshman in college I don't think I have the knowledge to understand your strategy. Could you explain it more plainly? Thank you very much.
Imagine connecting each wire on the left with its corresponding wire on the right. By symmetry, the voltages were already equal, so this makes no difference; no current flows in the added wires. Now shrink them to zero length.
The two 2Ω resistors are now in parallel, so can be replaced by a 1Ω resistor. Similarly the two 4Ω resistors and the two 1A sources.

haruspex said:
Imagine connecting each wire on the left with its corresponding wire on the right. By symmetry, the voltages were already equal, so this makes no difference; no current flows in the added wires. Now shrink them to zero length.
The two 2Ω resistors are now in parallel, so can be replaced by a 1Ω resistor. Similarly the two 4Ω resistors and the two 1A sources.

Okay, thank you for your time and patience !

Yes it will be I=0, hence ##I_1=-1## hence the current of 1A, just circulates around the small loop with the current source and the resistor of 4Ohms, and hence , the voltage drop on the resistor of 4Ohms will cancel out the voltage source and there will be no current in the big loop, that is I=0.

To state it differently, for this circuit the current source of 1A is equivalent to a voltage source of 4V and polarity such as to oppose the polarity of the main voltage source.

What is wrong with I=0, as @ehild said some currents can be zero...
Do you have the answer key and it says that the currents through the resistors of 2Ohms are different than zero?

Likes ehild

1. What are Kirchhoff's Laws?

Kirchhoff's Laws are two fundamental principles in circuit analysis that help determine the behavior of electrical circuits. The first law, also known as Kirchhoff's Current Law, states that the sum of currents entering and exiting a junction in a circuit must be equal. The second law, known as Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, states that the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop must be equal to the sum of voltage sources in that loop.

2. How do I use Kirchhoff's Laws to solve a circuit with voltage and current sources?

To solve a circuit using Kirchhoff's Laws, you will need to identify all the voltage and current sources in the circuit and label their values. Then, you can apply Kirchhoff's Current Law at any junctions in the circuit to determine the currents. Next, you can apply Kirchhoff's Voltage Law in closed loops to determine the voltage drops. Finally, you can use Ohm's Law to calculate any unknown values in the circuit.

3. What is the significance of using Kirchhoff's Laws in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's Laws are essential tools in circuit analysis as they provide a systematic approach to solving complex circuits with multiple voltage and current sources. By using these laws, you can accurately determine the behavior of a circuit and calculate the values of unknown components. Additionally, Kirchhoff's Laws are based on fundamental principles of physics and are applicable to all types of circuits, making them a universal method for circuit analysis.

4. Can Kirchhoff's Laws be applied to circuits with non-ideal components?

Yes, Kirchhoff's Laws can be applied to circuits with non-ideal components. These laws are based on the conservation of energy and charge, which hold true for all types of circuits, including those with non-ideal components. However, in some cases, the calculations may be more complex due to the non-ideal behavior of the components.

5. Are there any limitations to using Kirchhoff's Laws in circuit analysis?

While Kirchhoff's Laws are powerful tools for circuit analysis, they do have some limitations. These laws assume that the components in the circuit are linear, meaning that their behavior is directly proportional to the applied voltage or current. If the circuit contains non-linear components, such as diodes or transistors, Kirchhoff's Laws may not provide accurate results. In such cases, more advanced circuit analysis methods may be necessary.