In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the potential difference across each resistor in a circuit using the V=iR equation. The person tried different attempts, including combining resistors and using series connections, but was unsure of how to find the current and potential difference for each resistor. They ask for clarification on whether different currents can flow through the series resistors.
GBC

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 1.24.16 AM.png

What is the potential difference across each resistor?

I know that I'll have to incorporate the V=iR equation
but I don't know where to start though...
My first attempt was with these:
R1=4 R2=8 R3=5 R4=6 R5=3
24-I1R1-I1R2-I3R3+I4R4+I5R5=0
but this lead me nowhere so I tried this
24-I1R1-I1R2-I2R3+I3R4+I4R5=0
and again, I was stuck so I tried making it into a simple series circuit by combining R1 with R2 and R4 with R5 and got this:
24-(8/3)I23-5I2+2I45=0
and again I was stuck...
How do I find the I-values for the respective resistor? Should I be finding each one or could I combine it, as I did in my last attempt? If I combine it, how would I be able to calculate the potential difference of each of the resistors in the combined pairs (R1/R2 and R4/R5)?

Physics news on Phys.org
GBC said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 90370
What is the potential difference across each resistor?

I know that I'll have to incorporate the V=iR equation
but I don't know where to start though...
My first attempt was with these:
R1=4 R2=8 R3=5 R4=6 R5=3
24-I1R1-I1R2-I3R3+I4R4+I5R5=0
but this lead me nowhere so I tried this
24-I1R1-I1R2-I2R3+I3R4+I4R5=0
and again, I was stuck so I tried making it into a simple series circuit by combining R1 with R2 and R4 with R5 and got this:
24-(8/3)I23-5I2+2I45=0
and again I was stuck...
How do I find the I-values for the respective resistor? Should I be finding each one or could I combine it, as I did in my last attempt? If I combine it, how would I be able to calculate the potential difference of each of the resistors in the combined pairs (R1/R2 and R4/R5)?
Your first two trials have no sense. At the end you found out that the 4 ohm and 8 ohm resistors are connected parallel, and so are the 6 ohm and the 3 ohm resistors, and then you get three series connected resistors. So your last equation would be correct, What do you know of the current flowing through the series resistors? Can different current flow through them?

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electrical potential energy between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is the driving force that causes electric charges to flow through a circuit.

2. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel across the component or circuit being measured. The voltmeter measures the difference in potential energy between two points and displays it in volts.

3. What is the unit of potential difference?

The unit of potential difference is the volt (V), which is equivalent to one joule per coulomb (J/C). It is named after Italian physicist Alessandro Volta, who invented the first battery.

4. How does potential difference affect the flow of electric current?

Potential difference is directly proportional to the flow of electric current in a circuit. A higher potential difference will result in a greater flow of current, while a lower potential difference will result in a lower flow of current. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law (V=IR).

5. What is the significance of potential difference in a circuit?

Potential difference is important in a circuit because it allows for the transfer of electrical energy, which is used to power devices and perform work. It is also essential for the functioning of components such as resistors, capacitors, and diodes.