Finding Remainders for Large Numbers Modulo 5

In summary: It helps to know what you are talking about.In summary, the conversation is about finding the remainder when the sum of 1^99 + 2^99 + 3^99 + 4^99 + 5^99 is divided by 5 and generalizing this result with the use of modular arithmetic. The solution is to use the division algorithm to write 99 = 4a + b and then compute each of the values of 2^n mod 5. The remainder for 1^99 is 1 and for 5^99 it is 0. The attempt at a solution involved computing each of the values of 2^n mod 5 and understanding the connection between amod5 + b
cheiney

Homework Statement

(a) Find the remainder when 1^99 + 2^99 + 3^99 + 4^99 + 5^99 is divided by 5.
(b) Generalize this result

Homework Equations

Congruence Modulo

a[itex]\equiv[/itex]b mod n

also

a=n*q+b where q is some integer.

The Attempt at a Solution

The remainder for 1^99 would be 1.
The remainder for 5^99 would be 0.

I'm having difficulty finding the remainder for 2,3,4.

I'm assuming I have to use modular arithmetic to find the remainder for these, but I'm not sure where to start. Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For ##2^{99}##, note that ##2^4 = 16## which leaves remainder ##1##. So start by using the division algorithm to write ##99 = 4a + b## where ##b < 4##.

cheiney said:
The remainder for 1^99 would be 5.

really ?

jbunill has offered you an idea, which is a good one. However if you are still not sure how to proceed, try this: compute each of ##2^n## mod 5 where n = 0,1,2, .. 7. Observe what happens. From that point you should be able to compute ##2^{99}## mod 5.

Likes 1 person
Thanks everyone for your posts. I figured out the answer to both parts.

Part a) , the remainder is 0.

Part b) , If you sum n integers, where n is prime, and divide the sum by n, you will always get a remainder of 0.

P.S. Phinds and Mark44, I wrote it incorrectly. The remainder should be 1, not 5.

I especially appreciate brmath's post as this one made the most sense to me.

cheiney said:
Part b) , If you sum n integers, where n is prime, and divide the sum by n, you will always get a remainder of 0.

This is way too general... according to this claim, if I take 4 and 5, which is two integers, and I sum them, then divide by 2 I get a remainder of zero.

Office_Shredder said:
This is way too general... according to this claim, if I take 4 and 5, which is two integers, and I sum them, then divide by 2 I get a remainder of zero.

Ah, I didn't think of that. What if I specify n consecutive integers starting from 1?

Part (a) is not an example of that though... if it was

"Find 1+2+3+4+5 mod 5" then it would be, but as written it's not a sum of n consecutive integers.

Office_Shredder said:
Part (a) is not an example of that though... if it was

"Find 1+2+3+4+5 mod 5" then it would be, but as written it's not a sum of n consecutive integers.

Okay I understand what you are saying. What if I said:

If you sum 1^a+2^a+3^a+...+n^a (where n is a prime number) and divide this sum by n, you end up with a remainder of 0?

Last edited:
You can write 4 as -1 mod 5 and 3 as -2 mod 5.

( 1 mod5)^99 = (1 mod5)^98 *(1 mod5)
( -1 mod5)^99 = (-1 mod5)^98 *(-1 mod5),

the same with 2 mod5 and -2 mod5.

How are (k mod5)^98 and (-k mod5)^98 related?

ehild

cheiney said:
Okay I understand what you are saying. What if I said:

If you sum 1^a+2^a+3^a+...+n^a (where n is a prime number) and divide this sum by n, you end up with a remainder of 0?

Is it true if a even? For example, 12+22+32 divided by 3?

ehild

cheiney What is the connection between amod5 + bmod5 and (a+b)mod5? Figure that out by taking some examples.

Then figure out ##2^{99}, 3^{99}, 4^{99}## by the method I suggested earlier and use what you just learned about sums and mods.

It's best not to reach for general answers until you have worked out a number of specific cases.

1. What are remainders of large numbers?

Remainders of large numbers refer to the numbers left over after dividing a larger number by a smaller number. For example, if we divide 10 by 3, the quotient is 3 and the remainder is 1.

2. How do you calculate remainders of large numbers?

To calculate remainders of large numbers, we use the modulo operator (%) in most programming languages. This operator returns the remainder after dividing the first number by the second number. For example, 10 % 3 would return a remainder of 1.

3. Why are remainders of large numbers important?

Remainders of large numbers are important in various mathematical applications, such as finding factors and multiples of numbers, determining divisibility, and solving problems involving fractions and decimals. They also play a role in cryptography and computer science.

4. Can you have a remainder of 0 when dividing a large number by a smaller number?

Yes, it is possible to have a remainder of 0 when dividing a large number by a smaller number. For example, 9 divided by 3 would have a quotient of 3 and a remainder of 0.

5. How do you find the remainder of a large number when divided by a decimal?

To find the remainder of a large number when divided by a decimal, we can convert the decimal into a fraction and then apply the same rules for finding remainders of large numbers. For example, if we want to find the remainder of 10 divided by 0.5, we can convert 0.5 into a fraction (1/2) and then find the remainder of 10 divided by 1/2, which would be 0.