How Do You Find All Ring Homomorphisms for Specific Mappings?

In summary, this problem is trying to find all ring homomorphisms from Z to Z6. It seems as though this might be a difficult task because there are only a few ring members in Z6 and many ring members in Z2.
phyguy321

Homework Statement

Find all ring homomorphisms [tex]\phi[/tex]: Z [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Z
[tex]\phi[/tex]: Z2 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Z6
[tex]\phi[/tex]: Z6 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Z2

Homework Equations

A function [tex]\phi[/tex]: R [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] S is called a ring homomorphism if for all a,b[tex]\in[/tex]R,
[tex]\phi[/tex](a+b) = [tex]\phi[/tex](a) + [tex]\phi[/tex](b)
[tex]\phi[/tex](ab) = [tex]\phi[/tex](a)[tex]\phi[/tex](b)
[tex]\phi[/tex](1R) = 1S

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
So why is that difficult for you? You have to show an attempt or state what is confusing you before anyone can help.

so i have to find every set in Z that satisfies those equations by ending in Z?
same goes for Z_2 to Z_6 find every set that will add together in the homomorphism in Z_2 and will separately add together in Z_6? is this what its asking?
if so how do i show that?

Your definition says phi(1)=1. Can you use that with the other homomorphism properties to figure out what phi(k) must be for the other k's in the domain ring?

A journey of infinite length starts with a single step... :smile:

Z6 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Z2 [tex]\phi[/tex](a mod 6) = a mod 2. since if a [tex]\equiv[/tex]b mod 6 then a[tex]\equiv[/tex]bmod 2 since 2|6

The answer is correct. But I can't say the reason really captures the what the problem is about.

Z_2 only has two members. Z6[/sup] only has 6 members. It shouldn't be all that hard to write down all functions from Z2 to Z6 much less just all homomorphims were you know 0Z2---> 0Z6!

Z is the initial object of category of rings with morphism f:Z->S satisfying f(1z) = 1s (1z is the mulitplicative identity of Z and 1s is the multiplicative identity of a ring S.

That means, a ring homomorphism f from Z to any ring is unique as long as f:Z->S satisfying f(1z) = 1s.

Last edited:
Dick said:
The answer is correct. But I can't say the reason really captures the what the problem is about.

frankly I don't really care about capturing the reason of the problem. I just need to get through this class and not have a W on my transcript. Abstract math and modern algebra are terrible awful aspects of math that i just can't grasp.
so as long as that is something i can put down and get credit for I don't care, I'll never have to do it again

Related to How Do You Find All Ring Homomorphisms for Specific Mappings?

What is a ring homomorphism?

A ring homomorphism is a function between two rings that preserves the addition and multiplication operations. In other words, if f is a function from ring R to ring S, then for all elements a and b in R, f(a + b) = f(a) + f(b) and f(a * b) = f(a) * f(b).

How do you find a ring homomorphism?

To find a ring homomorphism between two rings, you need to first understand the structure and properties of the two rings. Then, you can look for a function that preserves the addition and multiplication operations between the two rings. This can involve trial and error, or using known properties and theorems to guide your search.

What are the properties of a ring homomorphism?

A ring homomorphism must preserve the addition and multiplication operations, as well as the identity elements of the two rings. Additionally, it must preserve the multiplicative inverse of elements in the ring. It is also required to be a one-to-one function, meaning each element in the first ring maps to a unique element in the second ring, and onto, meaning every element in the second ring has at least one pre-image in the first ring.

What is the difference between a ring homomorphism and an isomorphism?

A ring homomorphism is a function that preserves the algebraic structure of two rings, while an isomorphism is a bijective homomorphism. This means that an isomorphism not only preserves the addition and multiplication operations, but also the identity elements and the multiplicative inverse of elements. In other words, an isomorphism is a special type of ring homomorphism that is also a one-to-one and onto function.

What are some applications of finding ring homomorphisms?

Finding ring homomorphisms is useful in many areas of mathematics, including abstract algebra, number theory, and cryptography. It can also have applications in computer science, such as in coding theory and error correction. Additionally, ring homomorphisms are used in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of symmetry and conservation laws.