Finding root of complex equation

In summary, the conversation is about finding the roots of a quadratic equation with complex numbers. The person is using the quadratic formula and is stuck on how to simplify the solution which contains two imaginary parts. Another person helps by suggesting to write the solution as a sum or difference of two terms and explains how to do it. Eventually, the person is able to solve the equation.
Timmy Time

Homework Statement

Good day,

I've been have having difficulties finding the roots of this:
Find the roots of 3ix^2 + 6x - i = 0
where i = complex number
i = sqrt(-1)

Homework Equations

quadratic formula (apologies for the large image)
quadratic-formula.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

using the quadratic formula
[-6 (+-) sqrt (36 - 4(3i)i)] / 6i
= (-6/6i) + (sqrt(24)/6i)
multiplying by conjugate I get:
=i (+-) ((-6i * sqrt(24))/ 36)

I'm stuck here.
apparently the roots should have both real and imaginary parts, but I have 2 imaginary parts. ie x = Re + i Im
what exactly do I have to do next?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You got ##i ^+_- \frac{\sqrt(24)}{6i}##
Now you can write it as ##i ^+_- \frac{2\sqrt(6)}{6i}##
now 1/i=-i
so ##i ^+_- (-i\frac{2\sqrt(6)}{6})## Now take a +/- B as a+b and a-b

so, there is no real part for the left side of the answer?
or should I express the answer as:
(0 + i) + (−i * ((2√6)/6) ) and (0 + i) - (−i * ((2√6)/6) )

oh, never mind.
I've finally got it.Thank you for your time.

1. What is the definition of a "complex equation"?

A complex equation is a mathematical equation that involves complex numbers, which are numbers with both a real and imaginary component. These equations typically involve variables raised to powers greater than one, and may also include radicals, logarithms, and trigonometric functions.

2. How do you find the roots of a complex equation?

To find the roots of a complex equation, you can use the quadratic formula or other methods such as factoring or completing the square. However, these methods will only work for certain types of complex equations. For more complex equations, numerical methods such as Newton's method may be used.

3. What are the complex roots of an equation?

The complex roots of an equation are the values of the variable that make the equation true when substituted into it. In the case of complex equations, these roots will be complex numbers, which consist of a real and imaginary part. The number of complex roots will be equal to the degree of the equation.

4. Can complex equations have multiple roots?

Yes, complex equations can have multiple roots. In fact, the fundamental theorem of algebra states that an n-degree complex equation will have n distinct roots, including complex roots. However, these roots may be repeated or have multiplicity, meaning they may appear more than once in the solution set.

5. What are the practical applications of finding roots of complex equations?

Finding roots of complex equations has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, in electrical engineering, complex roots can be used to analyze circuits and design filters. In physics, they can be used to solve differential equations and model complex systems. In economics, they can be used to analyze market trends and make predictions. Overall, finding roots of complex equations is crucial in understanding and solving real-world problems.