Finding the roots of a polynomial with complex coefficients?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the quadratic formula can be used for complex numbers and whether algebraic rules still apply for complex coefficients. It is concluded that the steps leading to the quadratic solution remain the same, but simplifying the final answer may require additional work. The example case of z^2-(3+i)z+(2+i)=0 is given for practice.
Vitani11

Homework Statement

z2-(3+i)z+(2+i) = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Does the quadratic formula work in this case? Should you deal with the real and complex parts separately?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vitani11 said:

Homework Statement

z2-(3+i)z+(2+i) = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Does the quadratic formula work in this case? Should you deal with the real and complex parts separately?

Does algebra work with complex numbers? For complex numbers, do we have ##a+b = b+a##, ##a b = b a##, ##a+(b+c) = (a+b)+c##, ##a(bc) = (ab)c##, ##a(b+c) = ab + ac##, and ##a+0 = a##, ##a 1 = a##? If so, then all the steps leading to the quadratic solution go through without change to the case of complex coefficients. In fact, in the derivation of the quadratic solution formula there was no mention of whether or not the coefficients were real.

Of course, when you need to express the final answer in the form ## A + iB## with real ##A,B## you might need to simplify something like
$$\frac{-(2+3i) \pm \sqrt{(2+3 i)^2 - 4 (5-2i)(7+6i) }}{2 (5-2i)}$$
and that will take some work. However, all the work before that is not changed by things being complex.

For practice, solve the example case ##z^2 - (3+i) z + (2+i) = 0## you started with.

Likes Vitani11
Great, thanks

1. What are complex coefficients in a polynomial?

Complex coefficients in a polynomial are numbers that involve the imaginary unit, i, which is equal to the square root of -1. These coefficients are part of the algebraic expressions in the polynomial and can be written in the form of a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

2. How do you find the roots of a polynomial with complex coefficients?

To find the roots of a polynomial with complex coefficients, you can use the same methods as finding the roots of a polynomial with real coefficients. This includes factoring, the quadratic formula, and using synthetic division. However, the roots may be complex numbers rather than real numbers.

3. Can a polynomial with complex coefficients have real roots?

Yes, a polynomial with complex coefficients can have real roots. In fact, for a polynomial with complex coefficients, the number of complex roots is equal to the degree of the polynomial. This means that if the degree is odd, then there will be at least one real root.

4. Is it possible to have repeated roots in a polynomial with complex coefficients?

Yes, it is possible to have repeated roots in a polynomial with complex coefficients. Just like with polynomials with real coefficients, if the discriminant is equal to 0, then there will be repeated roots in the polynomial.

5. How do complex roots affect the graph of a polynomial?

The complex roots of a polynomial affect the graph by creating turning points or inflection points. The graph will still intersect the x-axis at the complex roots, but it will not cross the x-axis at these points. Instead, it will change direction and continue on its path.