Finding roots and complex roots of a determinant

In summary, the conversation focuses on finding the values of ##\Omega## that satisfy the equation ##(-\Omega^2 + i\gamma\Omega + \frac{2k}{3m})(-\Omega^2 + i\gamma\Omega + \frac{2k}{3m}) - (-i\gamma\Omega)(-i\gamma\Omega) = 0##. The speaker initially tries to solve the equation but encounters difficulty with a quadratic term. Another speaker suggests factoring and exploring all possibilities, while another offers a hint about complex numbers. Eventually, the group determines that there are four roots, two real and two complex, and successfully finds them.
Redwaves
Homework Statement
Finding roots and complex roots of a determinant
Relevant Equations
##(-\Omega^2 + i\gamma\Omega + \frac{2k}{3m})(-\Omega^2 + i\gamma\Omega + \frac{2k}{3m}) - (-i\gamma\Omega)(-i\gamma\Omega) = 0##
I need to find the values of ##\Omega## where ##(-\Omega^2 + i\gamma\Omega + \frac{2k}{3m})(-\Omega^2 + i\gamma\Omega + \frac{2k}{3m}) - (-i\gamma\Omega)(-i\gamma\Omega) = 0##

I get ##\Omega^4 -2i\gamma \Omega^3 - \frac{4k}{3m}\Omega^2 + i\frac{4k}{3m}\gamma\Omega + \frac{4k^2}{9m^2} = 0##

I don't think this is the correct way.
I don't find a way to resolve a quadratic.
I have to factor some terms, but I don't see where.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have ##f(\Omega)^2=g(\Omega)^2##. Why don't you check all possibilities from here?

Likes Redwaves
[itex]a^2 - b^2 = (a +b)(a - b)[/itex] also holds for complex [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex]...

Likes Redwaves
I found the the reals roots which are ##\Omega = + -\sqrt{\frac{2k}{3m}}## using ##(-\Omega^2 +i\gamma\Omega + \frac{2k}{3m}))^2 = i^2\gamma^2\Omega^2##

However, I don't see how to get the complex roots.
To find the complex roots, should I replace ##i^2## by -1 ?

You have ##f(\Omega) =\pm g(\Omega)## or ##a=\pm b## with @pasmith 's notation.​

Now ##f(\Omega)## is quadratic, that gives you ##4## roots, two real and two complex.

Alright, Thanks!
I found it using Pasmith's notation.
Thanks guys!

1. What is a determinant?

A determinant is a mathematical concept used to determine the properties of a square matrix. It is a numerical value that can be calculated from the elements of a matrix and is used to solve various equations and systems of equations.

2. How do you find the roots of a determinant?

To find the roots of a determinant, you must first calculate the determinant of the matrix. Then, use the quadratic formula to find the roots of the resulting equation. The roots will be the values of x that make the determinant equal to zero.

3. What is the difference between real and complex roots?

Real roots are values of x that make the determinant equal to zero when substituted into the equation. Complex roots, on the other hand, are values of x that make the determinant equal to a complex number when substituted into the equation.

4. How do you determine if a determinant has complex roots?

To determine if a determinant has complex roots, you must first calculate the determinant. If the determinant is a negative number, then the roots will be complex. If the determinant is a positive number, then the roots will be real. If the determinant is zero, then there will be both real and complex roots.

5. Why is finding the roots of a determinant important?

Finding the roots of a determinant is important because it allows us to solve equations and systems of equations. It is also used in various fields of mathematics, such as linear algebra, to determine the properties of a matrix. Additionally, the roots of a determinant can provide valuable insights into the behavior and solutions of complex systems.