Finding series and shunt resistance of solar cell

In summary, the conversation is about finding the series and shunt resistance of a solar cell from an I-V curve. The person has read some papers and found that Rs can be calculated by taking the negative derivative of voltage with respect to current at Voc, while Rsh can be calculated by taking the negative derivative of voltage with respect to current at Isc. However, they are experiencing some difficulty as their series resistance is coming out to be very high at 11k ohms. They are trying to find Rs from the slope between Vmax and Voc, and Rsh from Isc to Vmax, but they are questioning if they are doing something wrong because Vmax and Voc seem to be the same point. They suggest using a tangent
Swati Jain
Hi,
I am trying to find out series and shunt resistance of solar cell from I-V curve which starts from Isc and going to Voc.

I read some papers and for single illumination mostly said Rs= -(dv/dI)V=Voc
and Rsh= -(dv/dI)I=Isc.
so I am finidng Rs from slope between points from Vmax to Voc, and Rsh from Isc to Vmax.
Am I doing something wrong? My series resistance is coming very high around 11k ohm.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Swati Jain said:
I am finidng Rs from slope between points from Vmax to Voc
Aren't Vmax and Voc going to be the same point??

Seems to me if you need the slope around Voc then you draw a tangent there.

1. How do you find the series resistance of a solar cell?

To find the series resistance of a solar cell, you can use the equation RS = (VOC - VMP)/IMP, where RS is the series resistance, VOC is the open-circuit voltage, VMP is the maximum power voltage, and IMP is the maximum power current. This equation is derived from the I-V curve of the solar cell.

2. What is the shunt resistance of a solar cell?

The shunt resistance of a solar cell is the resistance of the parallel path that allows current to flow outside of the intended circuit. It is usually caused by imperfections or defects in the solar cell's material. A higher shunt resistance means the solar cell is less prone to failure.

3. How do you calculate the shunt resistance of a solar cell?

To calculate the shunt resistance, you can use the equation RSH = (VOC - VOC')/(ISC - ISC'), where RSH is the shunt resistance, VOC is the open-circuit voltage, ISC is the short-circuit current, and VOC' and ISC' are the corresponding values at a different light intensity. This calculation is based on the assumption that the I-V curve of a solar cell is linear.

4. Why is it important to know the series and shunt resistance of a solar cell?

The series and shunt resistance of a solar cell affects its overall performance and efficiency. By knowing these values, we can optimize the design and operation of the solar cell to maximize its power output. It also helps in identifying any defects or issues with the solar cell.

5. How can the series and shunt resistance of a solar cell be measured?

The series and shunt resistance of a solar cell can be measured using specialized equipment such as a solar cell tester or a digital multimeter. These instruments measure the I-V characteristics of the solar cell and can calculate the series and shunt resistance using the appropriate equations.